Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Backstroke
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2017
nopuk

Default newbie help

So,
I am staying in a hotel with a nice quiet 20m pool, for 3 nights a week for the next few months. Last month I could not do anything, after watching youtube videos and splashing about I can now backstroke the length of the pool -ish

One length, 20m takes me 1min. My main issues are:

1- almost always water is getting into my nose and or mouth. I tried a nose clip, hated it.
2- I really find it hard to know when to breath, I have zero pattern.
3- I feel my head looking towards my toes after about 10m, and need to reset the position
4- I cannot see, but I am fairly certain my legs are doing basically nothing to help me, I feel them well below the water line.

Any tips on how to improve the above ? I can only try and teach myself at night so not ideal.
Old 11-04-2017
Coach

CoachBobM

Do you have the Total Immersion backstroke DVD? The drills in it should help you perfect your backstroke technique.

We begin the drill sequence by having you master Back Balance, in which you lean back in the water until the waterline is up to the sides of your goggles and your chin and your abdomen rises to the surface. You should only need a gentle kick while you are doing this, and your body should be as relaxed as possible. Keep your toes pointed in line with your ankles as you are kicking. If you are doing this, your mouth and nose should be above the waterline, so water should not be getting into your mouth or nose.

As you proceed through the drill sequence, your head position should remain the same, so you should still not be getting water in your mouth or nose.

You should be able to breathe whenever you want to when you are doing backstroke, though most of us find that it works best to synchronize it with your stroke, always doing it at the same point in your stroke cycle.

Bob