Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > How To Swim A Mile
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2016

andyinnorway

Rob,

You'd be on my list for an hour of superman glide practice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwV7aik6doM

I can't tell how long that pool you're taking lessons in is but it looks around 15m so make a game to see how far along it you can get and also another one to see how many seconds you can hold your push off position for before the legs hit the floor.

You'll learn balance and relaxation together that will carry through to every stroke you take.
Old 03-11-2016
RSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ro63rt View Post
I'm dividing my time 50/50 drills & full stroke. All I want to be able to do is swim a mile comfortably, what's other people's experiences & how long has it took people to get there?
2 years.

Oh, I could swim 1.5k in a session before I started TI, but it was stop and go for over an hour, and an ugly mix of back/breast/freestyle and fighting the water like it was a sparring partner in a boxing ring when you're both 3 years old. Once I learned to swim TI style it took me close to 2 years before I could comfortably swim for 30min with no breaks, which according to my conservative math is 1.5k. Part of that was lifestyle, part of that was getting distracted in the pool, part of that was being unable to count past 3 in the pool, etc. My best is an hour of continuous swim without being exhausted at the end. I had someone I knew swimming in the next lane for that. 45min and still feeling fresh is in now reach any day I have had a good night's sleep. That's 2.5 years in, and the 45min is usually after 30-60min of drills. It depends on lane availability at my pool.

For measuring distance, I find it is much easier to simply have a consistent stroke rate, count your SPL, multiply your SPL by your SR, fudge a margin for the turn (about 1-2 strokes) and give it a rough go for your time in the pool. Be conservative in your estimations. That way you know your minimum distance.

Quick example: My stroke rate is 2s (it's actually ~1.7 for the most part, and closer to 1.5 when I'm actually in the flow), my SPL is 12-13. 13*2s is 26s, add in 4s for the turn (close enough, it's about 2 strokes) and presto 30s for a length. 50m is 1min, 2min is 100m etc.
It is rough, but it lets me not worry about the actual distance or counting to more than 3, and lets me focus on whatever my goal for that length is (hand position, ear hop, breathing precision, reduced force etc. etc.).
Old 03-11-2016
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Terry your advice on this thread is generous and extremely valuable! If the frustrated swimmers of the world realized the gold mine...in this thread alone...there'd be no more frustrated swimmers!

To the OP, trust the process and try Terry's suggestions. It may take you several weeks to go through them all and get them feeling right but it's the right path. Combined with help from your local TIncoach you'll be swimming the channel in no time
Fresh Freestyle

Old 03-11-2016
Head Coach

terry has disabled reputation

Thank you so much Suzanne for your kind words.
To RSM, if you scroll back a few posts, you may see that my advice is actually for much briefer drill practice, regularly interspersed with whole stroke.

While I agree fully with andy's input that the OP is a 'good candidate for an hour of Superman' I would recommend that hour be divided up into many segments of, say, 4 reps of 6y/m of Superman, alternating with 4 reps of 8-10y/m of a brief Superman followed by 4 to 6 strokes.

The goal should purely be to heighten a particular sensation during Superman--e.g. resting the head's with on a 'cushion' of water, then try to replicate that sensation in whole stroke.

First without breathing, then--when it feels consistent and pronounced--adding just a few breaths . . . and more strokes.

You can do this with the full range of our drills and rehearsals to build a stroke with a considerable degree of the ease and grace shown by Shinji and other TI coaches and 'masterful enthusiasts.'

This approach has worked for thousands and thousands--and has fallen short for relatively few.

May your laps be as happy as mine.

My TI Story