Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Backstroke
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2015

BP
Default Technique Assistance

Hi All
I would appreciate any thoughts on the following:
My eldest son's backstroke is looking a little out of kilter. His head is looking to his left and his right arm is 'trying' to cross the centre-line.
What do people think? Is this the arm 'following' the head, or the arm 'forcing' the head to look left?
Any ideas on the best way to try and correct this would, of course, be greatly appreciated!
Thanks
Old 06-16-2015

daveblt

The arm and the head don't really have anything to do with each other . Start off by keeping the head straight and relaxed looking toward the ceiling at all times during the stroke .You have to roll just enough on both sides the same amount to clear the shoulder and recover the arms exactly the same to keep you from favoring one side .

Dave
Old 06-17-2015
TI Coach

CoachEricDeSanto

Hi BP,
The crossing over of the arms in Back stroke is usually caused by lack of awareness. It is very hard to feel where your arms are when overhead especially as you are rotating. Depending on your son's age, I find one of the best ways to fix this is to "swim" in your house facing a large mirror. You can move very slowly and make sure your position is exactly where you want it. Once that becomes consistent, take it back to the pool and look for the same feeling.

The mirror can help the head turn as well. Put a small sticker on the mirror right where his nose or chin is. As he "swims" in the mirror, make sure his nose does not move off the sticker. In the pool, the best way I know to fix the head roll is to have the water touch the sides of both goggles all the time. If the head rolls, one goggle will dip into the water or one will lift out. It gives you immediate feedback. Fun games, of course, include balancing stuff on your forehead while swimming. If you roll, it will fall off. I know one coach that uses pennies with her team. If the kid can keep the the penny on her head, she can keep the penny after practice.

Hope this helps.
Albuquerque, NM 87111
http://www.sites.google.com/site/des...achingsystems/
Old 06-18-2015

BP

Thanks Both
Some useful tips here.
I will ask him to perform the neutral head/body roll and goggle trick during practice...and, although obvious now I think of it, I hadn't considered the forehead-balancing as a correction technique.
I must say, the mirror ideas sound particularly intriguing...and, again, I hadn't thought of dry-land remedies to swimming problems!
Extremely useful comments...I will let you know how we get on!
Kind regards.