Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Racing
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2010

oridoron7
Default Question that requires honstey

Hello there people how are you?
In the middle of Learning the TI basic teachnique, a disturbing thinking came my way.
All the TI sweamers I see who swim the TI teachnique doesnt sweam that fast. When I startes to search a fast swim (something like 50-100 meters top), I have seen less and less the TI principals.
If one of you can help me see the right pattren in fast tempo, I would thank him.

Have a nice DAY
Old 10-03-2010

Alex-SG

TI for Short Distance SPRINTS (50m-100m) ?

Some of the principles can probably help sprinters too...

Having said that Total Immersion is, in my opinion, the Bible of Long distance Freestyle Swimming (800m+). It emphasizes efficient swimming, gliding, long distance per stroke, 2Beat-kicking...

People who sprint, on the other hand, appear to kick like mules and have very high Stroke Rates. Clearly that is not what TI is about. ALEX
Old 10-04-2010

Grant

My personal experience is as follows. 18 years ago at age 57 I took up swimming as my major exercise because knee injuries made running unadvisable. I could always swim but had never tried to swim more than a couple of lengths at a time. For 5 years or more I thrashed the water and while I got so I could swim a short distance somewhat quickly (38sec/50m) that was the extent of my endurance. Ran across TI in a since discontinued swimming magazine and began to incorporate Terry's principals. Since that time my 50 (:32) and 100m(1:15) times have gone down to the times mentioned ending last year when I began to slow down slightly and this year the times are off more as a result of the change in swim suit regulations.
The point I want to make is that using the focus points of balance, wide tracks, just enough rotation helped my sprint times as well as I can now compete comfortably in the 200, 400, 800 and 1500m races. TI smoothed me out and also has really given me a way to hold swimming that is nourishing and enlivening to my life as a whole.
TI is a wonderful gift waiting for us humans to open and play with it.
Or not. Everyones choice.
Have just finished reading a Tom Robbins book and I like his style of closing a rant/discourse with a comment that is humorous. The Or not and Everyones choice sentences are my first attempt at that style.
Forgiveness is requested.
May we all swim with ease at the speeds we choose.
Old 10-04-2010

KatieK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
My personal experience is as follows. 18 years ago at age 57 I took up swimming as my major exercise because knee injuries made running unadvisable. I could always swim but had never tried to swim more than a couple of lengths at a time. For 5 years or more I thrashed the water and while I got so I could swim a short distance somewhat quickly (38sec/50m) that was the extent of my endurance. Ran across TI in a since discontinued swimming magazine and began to incorporate Terry's principals. Since that time my 50 (:32) and 100m(1:15) times have gone down to the times mentioned ending last year when I began to slow down slightly and this year the times are off more as a result of the change in swim suit regulations.
The point I want to make is that using the focus points of balance, wide tracks, just enough rotation helped my sprint times as well as I can now compete comfortably in the 200, 400, 800 and 1500m races. TI smoothed me out and also has really given me a way to hold swimming that is nourishing and enlivening to my life as a whole.
TI is a wonderful gift waiting for us humans to open and play with it.
Or not. Everyones choice.
Have just finished reading a Tom Robbins book and I like his style of closing a rant/discourse with a comment that is humorous. The Or not and Everyones choice sentences are my first attempt at that style.
Forgiveness is requested.
May we all swim with ease at the speeds we choose.
Grant, you rock! Since you're too modest to make a really big deal about your accomplishments, I'll do a little cheerleading for you (and TI):

After becoming serious about swimming at age 57, your sprint times were respectable, but you didn't have much endurance. You discovered TI at AGE SIXTY-TWO. With TI, your sprint times improved into your SEVENTIES and your endurance improved dramatically. And, I know from other posts, that you are a contender for a Canadian National Record in your age group!

Plus, you've basically become a Zen master.

Not a bad testimony at all, imo.
Old 10-04-2010

Grant

Thank you Katie.
Grant
Old 10-04-2010

ewa.swimmer

I think TI techniques help sprinters also. Sprinters can get away with some bad technique because they are only going a short distance. Over a long distance the mistakes accumulate more and more lost time.
Old 10-04-2010
Coach

CoachDave
Default How about...

At the TI summit yesterday, I had Shinji, who enjoys flowing at 1.2 or 1.3 on a tempo trainer, try out shooting right down to .90 while trying to hold the form together. To him, it was frantic, rapid, and chaotic. To everyone watching, it looked like the same swimmer and stroke at a kicked up tempo. I'll get a video posted as soon as possible. This is a trick I try often in the TI Advanced workshops- most people are faster when a distance tempo is sped up instead of just showing how fast they can thrash.

Stroke that show these principles more will be found at middle distance and above.
www.ywcampls.org/ti
www.ywcampls.org/otters
www.distancedave.com
Old 10-04-2010
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Maybe I can beat you to that video of Shinji...or at least provide another one. I think I captured him doing .9 on the first day.
Coach of 5 time USA Triathlon Triathlete of the Year, Kirsten Sass
Steel City Endurance, LTD
Fresh Freestyle

Old 10-04-2010

Alistair

Please do. Shinji has kind of become our mascot I feel :)
Old 10-04-2010
Head Coach

terry has disabled reputation
Default What are YOUR goals

Oridoron7

I appreciate your interest in TI and am delighted you have found your way here. I hope your visit has already revealed that, at the very least, this is a place where you will find many people who are eager to help you find understanding and satisfaction in your swimming.

You ask a question that is fairly common among people who have heard or learned a small amount about TI, but haven't yet begun to practice TI themselves. They get the impression that TI is "graceful but slow" - sometimes from watching video such as this, sometimes from listening to the comments of others.

In fact most of the available video - online and on our DVDs - shows TI being swum with more attention to grace than speed. We will address that in coming months, by posting much video of TI being swum at brisker training paces, and possibly racing speeds.

However, the critical question here is What Swimming Outcome Do You Seek? How are you swimming now (i.e. time or speed for a specific distance) and what kind of improvement would make you feel happy and accomplished?

If you provide more specific info on yourself, we will be able to offer specific feedback, rather than talk in general terms about "Can you swim fast?" At this point we have no idea how you define 'fast' in personal terms.

May your laps be as happy as mine.

My TI Story