Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2016

scribe3
Default useless kick

I have been told I have a short fast kick, that's neither supportive or productive. I was wondering if any of the coaches, could give me some advice

I have notice, my heels don't break the surface of the water at all. I can do 2x25 with a kickboard.

However, when it comes to freestyle swimming my kick really doesn't help me that much
Old 09-16-2016

Zenturtle

I have a vision of a sort of epileptic kick thats more a trembling of the legs instead of a purpusefull action.
I think its a good idea to practice a connected 2 or 6Bk on dryland first without the distraction of breathing etc.
Its a sort of dance you can partially ingrain on dryland first, and take that muscle memory to the pool.

personally, when learning I shut off the kick completely first and added a faint 2Bk to get the main action. You might be better served by trying a 6Bk first, but its all rather personal what works best.

Fins slow the leg movement down too, so that could help also.
Old 09-20-2016
Coach

CoachBobM

The kick is not a major source of propulsion in freestyle, particularly for distance swimming. A coach named Doc Councilman once did an experiment in which he towed swimmers in a gliding position at different speeds, either with or without a kick, and measured the tension on the line. He found that at speeds over 5 feet per second (= 30 seconds for 50 yards), the tension on the line didn't decrease at all for most swimmers when they added a kick, and in some cases the tension actually went up (indicating that their kick was actually slowing them down at that speed)! So the principal function of the kick in freestyle is not propulsion, but counterbalancing the rotation of your body about the axis of your spine. And in a 2-beat kick, the rotational kicks are all you do.

The best drill I know of for developing a good kick is called vertical kicking: Go to the deep end of the pool, cross your arms across your chest, and keep your head above water in a vertical position by kicking. Focus on kicking from your hips and ankles - not your knees. You can explore the difference between rotational and non-rotational kicks by periodically doing quarter turns, first in one direction and then in the other. To transition to horizontal kicking, start vertical kicking and then let yourself "fall back" onto your back while still kicking.

Bob

Last edited by CoachBobM : 09-21-2016 at 05:56 PM.
Old 09-20-2016

Streak

Interesting Bob.
Scribe, I am with you on this.

It's because of my poor kick that I researched different swim techniques and found TI.
Rather than try and fix my kick in isolation TI taught me to use it as part of whole stroke swimming where the action of my legs now are to assist in getting the required rotation and resulting spear of the opposite arm.

So I no longer do kickboards and accept whatever kick I do have as part of a bigger picture keeping my eyes looking straight down helping keep my legs up and out of the way.

Good luck.
Old 09-20-2016

Zenturtle

50 sec; vertical kicking with rotational kicks,
3 min: from vertical kicking to back kicking
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRTKf0b1e-w

Maybe your have stiff ankles and stiff hip flexors. That can limit your forward progress a lot.

Emmit Hines is a fan of bottom up swimming. Legs drive rotation. Arms are only added as bodyrotation is fully ingrained without arm action.
http://www.h2oustonswims.org/fullPag..._rev_full.html

Not an easy path, certainly if your kick is non propulsive.

Not an easy path, certainly if your kick is non propulsive.

If thats a bit overwhelming, start with the main leg roll connection:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXMYGAgppRo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBeKxMpEORM

Last edited by Zenturtle : 09-20-2016 at 09:49 PM.
Old 09-21-2016

scribe3
Default Kick

Thanks guy's for all of your suggestions, I will try them on my next visit to the pool.