Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2014

andyinnorway

I was pop-eyeing as I read it, and yes it felt more natural on the normal breathing side.

Session 3 today, the pace clock was broken so no time measured but I had a strong relaxing swim.

4x100, 2x200, 4x100, 2x200- all in the 'usual' pattern left,left,both,left.

The big moment of the day came on the 4th 100 repeat when I was suddenly aware of my neck muscles tensing to turn to my right when it wasn't happening on my left side. already my weak side is doing things better than my right, or showing opportunities for stroke correction.

I'll go for a 400m tomorrow, hopefully with pace clock, anything around 8 minutes will be encouraging. I'll also be mindful of relaxing the neck on each side.
Old 03-13-2014

exmax

bearing in mind im still a complete novice ( only 1277 minutes of mindfull practice ) i have also had an issue breathing to my left
doing some mobility exercises out of the pool, i noticed that my flexibility/ reach assuming 180 deg was a straight arm and body, was actually different for both arms
and the weakest side ( biggest angle between arm and body )was with my right arm
doing drills on this side only proved that this was an issue effecting my balance, as doing the drills on the left side arm were much easier
maybe a coincidence, but i thought i would throw it out there
Old 03-14-2014

andyinnorway

Session no 4 today and it felt easier still.

16x100 off 2:30 (40 minutes total) Lots of repeats around 1:50

Towards the end of the session I started to feel the rhythm and jumping over the anchor more and ended up with an easy 1:39

I feel confident if I stick to the plan and repeat again next week I wlll be a confident both sides breather this time next week.

I also ended the session with some 'easy' 14SPL breathing 5,4,3,2 these felt wonderful, somewhere in the direction of how I would like every lap to feel.
Old 03-18-2014

andyinnorway

After 6 sessions I feel that 500 lengths is a good benchmark to feel fully comfortable with bilateral breathing.

Whilst my body control is still better breathing to my stronger side today I was able to throw in a breath at either side at will from 1 stroke to 8. This was both enjoyable and liberating. Long strokes, quick strokes, fast slow, it was a very playful session.

I will use the last 2 sessions of this week to get back on my interval sets but with right up left down breathing strategy.
Old 03-19-2014

AWP

Welcome to the mix!
Old 03-19-2014

andyinnorway

:) tumbles next week, think I'll find a hotel pool.
Old 04-03-2014

Danny

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyinnorway View Post
I will use the last 2 sessions of this week to get back on my interval sets but with right up left down breathing strategy.
Andy, if I understand correctly you always breath to the same side on each pool length? Why not alternate sides breathing once left then once right all the time? Seems like that would help maintain true ambidexterity (or ambi-breathing or something...). It would also perhaps help set some habits for open water swimming.
Old 04-04-2014

efdoucette

I too have started working on weak side breathing and I agree with the statement above "it seems like I'm a beginner again". At least this time I have a point of reference as I am happy with how my strong side feels. I am working on keeping head down, rolling (not lifting head), reaching (not dropping hand for support), and using NOD drill to try to figure this beast out.

Unfortunately, focusing on too many things at once, processor can't keep up, my head is going to explode. Result: stroke falls apart (timing, rotation, breathing ...) I don't know what the heck I'm doing again.

I think my biggest obstacle is rationalizing rotation (and rolling to air) now to both sides.
I guess I don't really have a question, it always seems to help just ranting about it.
Old 04-04-2014

andyinnorway

Quote:
Originally Posted by efdoucette View Post
I too have started working on weak side breathing and I agree with the statement above "it seems like I'm a beginner again". At least this time I have a point of reference as I am happy with how my strong side feels. I am working on keeping head down, rolling (not lifting head), reaching (not dropping hand for support), and using NOD drill to try to figure this beast out.

Unfortunately, focusing on too many things at once, processor can't keep up, my head is going to explode. Result: stroke falls apart (timing, rotation, breathing ...) I don't know what the heck I'm doing again.

I think my biggest obstacle is rationalizing rotation (and rolling to air) now to both sides.
I guess I don't really have a question, it always seems to help just ranting about it.
I decided after 4 weeks of only technical work, mostly on left side breathing and a little on tumbles I did my first fitness set today as its only 6 weeks to the opening of the tri season.

I swam every other length on weak side breathing on a 600m technical elements set and did my fastest times despite not being match fit aerobically and adding in weak side breathing to the mix. Very rewarding so just slog out the first few hundred laps and it will come quicker than you expect.
Old 04-21-2014

woodwards26

Hi Andy
Just seen this thread and I was wondering if the 8 sessions has indeed fixed your weak side for good.
Only today I was trying some bilateral and weak side breathing. My weak side is the right side someone once told me this is the most common weak side for right handed people as we support ourselves better with our right arm to get a easier breath to the left.
Anyway I still feel like a beginner when I introduce weak side breathing whether it be bilateral or unilateral I just get breathless at 25 and 50 is a struggle yet on the good side it feels smooth (tho not as fast as you 1000 m takes me just over 21mins)
So I will introduce an extra weekly session as you suggest but it may end up being 16x 100 with rests after 50 ! I don't want to interrupt my other swimming so will most likely take me 8 weeks.

Nothing can stop a person with the right attitude; nothing can help a person with the wrong attitude