Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2014

Danny
Default filming myself without help from others

I have been thinking for a long time about trying to get equipment together to be able to film myself while swimming without having to rely on others. I am certainly willing to spend several hundred dollars in this undertaking (it's cheaper than swimming lessons over the long haul) but I'm not sure how to do this. If I could use suction cups to place an underwater camera along the pool wall, how could I get it to follow me? Is there some way I can film myself from above water also?

Has anyone had success in any of this?
Old 05-12-2014
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
I have been thinking for a long time about trying to get equipment together to be able to film myself while swimming without having to rely on others. I am certainly willing to spend several hundred dollars in this undertaking (it's cheaper than swimming lessons over the long haul) but I'm not sure how to do this. If I could use suction cups to place an underwater camera along the pool wall, how could I get it to follow me? Is there some way I can film myself from above water also?

Following you will take some fancy robotics, but if you just set up a camera at the poolside on a chair or a tripod you'll catch a few good strokes. Do you ahvea waterproof camera? or a waterproof case for your ipad or iphone or camera-phone?
Coach of 5 time USA Triathlon Triathlete of the Year, Kirsten Sass
Steel City Endurance, LTD
Fresh Freestyle

Old 05-12-2014

sojomojo has disabled reputation

There are several threads about video recording and the equipment needed; but the anchoring of the camera for u/w video recording was the most difficult for me to figure out. There’s no perfect answer on how to video record or the best equipment to use. It really depends on how much money you’re willing to spend on equipment, the pool, and the willingness of pool staff (lifeguards) and other swimmers to indulge you as you video record.

In another thread, Coach Shen recommended the Panavise 809 Suction Cup Camera Mount http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000246ST6?...F58X0RNSP2EZ0] I couldn’t find it in my local brick-and-mortar camera store, but I did find the Delkin Fat Gecko Mini Camera and Camcorder Mount http://www.amazon.com/Gecko-Mini-Cam...+camera+mount] The Panavise and the Delkin Fat Gecko look exactly the same, but the Delkin Fat Gecko comes with a 3-inch extension. The 3-inch extension is available for the Panavise at an additional cost. If you have a heavier video camera and/or need more suctioning power, there are two beefier versions of the Delkin Fat Gecko: http://www.amazon.com/Fat-Gecko-Came...K09ZHQB0RZF4WH and http://www.amazon.com/Delkin-DDMNT-T...ZV1HK6PAKQDTJ2

There are some interesting YouTube user reviews on the Delkin; some of which I would not recommend doing (e.g., attach it with a camera to a moving car).

Before the Delkin, I had bought a cheaper suction cup mount, but the suction cup kept popping off and the weight of the camera and/or the wave action kept knocking the camera out of alignment.

So far, I’ve been very pleased with the Delkin Fat Gecko Mini Camera and Camcorder Mount. The pool that I use has a fairly smooth surface so the suction cup mounts securely. I normally put the mount on the wall of the pool just below the water surface. The 3-inch extension allows me to change the camera angle from u/w to above water without removing and repositioning the camera mount. The 3-inch extension allows me to get different shot angles. If the pool surface is tiled, the tiles have to be at least 4” x 4” for the suction cup to work.

There is one thing that I highly recommend if you use a suction cup mount and that is the Silk DQ-10 Quick Release Adapter http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00..._prd_ttl_sol_1 The quick release adapter is the perfect size for most small video cameras and it allows you to remove the camera without dismounting the suction cup so that you can playback and see immediately what was recorded and/or to make sure that the camera is pointing at the correct angle. It also allows you to quickly release the camera and hand it to someone on the pool deck to record your swim.

At my pool, the lifeguards rotate shifts every half hour. When a lifeguard is relieved from duty and I’m familiar with the lifeguard, I will sometimes ask him or her to film me (never ask a lifeguard on-duty to do this). The quick release adapter allows me to do this. So far, I haven’t had any of the off-duty lifeguards refuse and often times they’ll give me pointers and encouragement.

Video recording your swim is an eye-opener. Every time I watch myself swim on video, it reminds me of the time I saw a videotape of me dancing at my niece’s wedding. I was horrified, embarrassed, and amused.
Old 05-12-2014

Talvi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sojomojo View Post
....Video recording your swim is an eye-opener. Every time I watch myself swim on video, it reminds me of the time I saw a videotape of me dancing at my niece’s wedding. I was horrified, embarrassed, and amused.
ROFL that is what I've been fearing, but the pool etiquette here disallows use so I'm spared. Great info though - and maybe I can get a visitor pass into some club sessions.

"The water is your friend.....you don't have to fight with water, just share the same spirit as the water, and it will help you move."
~ Aleksandr Popov
Old 05-12-2014

Streak

I use a monopod which is more discrete than a tripod. I prop it up using may swim bag and one of the pool loungers and nobody even notices it there. I just use my point and shoot camera (Canon S90) on video mode.
Warning, the camera does not lie!
Old 05-12-2014

CharlesCouturier

Quote:

Why not kindly ask someone?
Old 05-13-2014

Danny

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesCouturier View Post
Why not kindly ask someone?
Sometimes the only people at my pool are the ones swimming and the life guard (who is not supposed to be doing this).
Old 05-13-2014

Danny

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I will have to spend some time looking around and thinking about this. If I get anywhere with this project, I'll post a follow-up on what I did.
Old 05-13-2014
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Quote:
Thanks to everyone for the advice. I will have to spend some time looking around and thinking about this. If I get anywhere with this project, I'll post a follow-up on what I did.
I just take my camera and set it on the corner of thepool along the bottom, let it lean back, maybe stick aquarter under the front edge so it's angled yet stable...and go swim.

If you got some video, great, if not, reangle & try it again. No need to spend more than the cost of the camera itself.

If you can get another to help I bought a painters 5' extension handle for about $15, and a gopro style or inotova style bar mount that fit sthe camera mount and attaches to the end of the broom handle. You can also take this contraption and wedge it under a lane line with a little fidgeting
Coach of 5 time USA Triathlon Triathlete of the Year, Kirsten Sass
Steel City Endurance, LTD
Fresh Freestyle

Old 05-13-2014

Talvi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachSuzanne View Post
I just take my camera and set it on the corner of thepool along the bottom, let it lean back, maybe stick aquarter under the front edge so it's angled yet stable...and go swim.

If you got some video, great, if not, reangle & try it again. No need to spend more than the cost of the camera itself.

If you can get another to help I bought a painters 5' extension handle for about $15, and a gopro style or inotova style bar mount that fit sthe camera mount and attaches to the end of the broom handle. You can also take this contraption and wedge it under a lane line with a little fidgeting
This sounds brilliant!

Can't get how the broom handle etc works with the lane line though.

"The water is your friend.....you don't have to fight with water, just share the same spirit as the water, and it will help you move."
~ Aleksandr Popov