Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2012

keej01
Default TI success but need help! GASTRO???

My wife and I recently went through TI instruction with Coach Todd. It was an awesome experience. We hope to go back sometime soon for some more work. Meanwhile my wife is doing great and is as fast or faster than me. She pretty much started from scratch where I had years of beating the water.

Please allow me some latitude here to tell a quick story. I started swimming seven years ago as I entered many sprint triathlons. I was always slow and like many couldnt swim more than 25 to 50 meters without 25 breast. As I talked to other coaches and sought advice, nothing worked. I hated the kick board. I hated the fins. I never used the rest of the stuff I see out there. Two years ago or so I went to look for the best way to learn and found TI on the net. I lsearched youtube and bought the book. Read it through and through and well it really didnt help because of me. Finally this year I am determined as I prepare for a half iron.

Luckily I was able to get a coach and I am very happy, as is my wife. The problem for me is what happens now in a complete full free style in a 2000 meter swim. I have researched but still must ask...

I start out in my relaxed 2000 meter swim. About 20 minutes in I start burping. About 35-40 minutes I start releasing gas. If I am not stopping and running to the restroom, I might be able to complete.

I researched some and found an explanation that i am breathing hard, gasping for air, and holding my breathe when head is facing down. In other words I am gulping extra air during breathing and then even sometimes holding my breathe which is allowing air into my intestines. Yesterday I attempted to relax the breathing and it helped. I didnt stop and run to the RR, however I still had the issue.

I am worried about the half iron. I am worried I will have to stop. Any ideas on how to prevent this?
Old 09-06-2012

CharlesCouturier

Hahaha, this is my favorite forum question!!

This is probably my biggest stroke flaw too LOL

Simple.

When you inhale air, but that there's a bit of water that finds its way as well, 2 things may happen, a very bad, and a not so bad:

Bad: Both air and water endup in your lungs
Good: Most of the air endup in your lungs, whilst a bit of air and water endup in your stomach

Be reassured, I've never heard of a single case where water would find its way down to the airways path. I mean, even at Fly (the worst stroke for choking), say you surface to breathe and that in the exact same time here comes a wave, you choke. I mean, the airways shut down for min 10sec.

So the second scenario is what's actually occurring.

So. Say you inhale and that a bit of air finds its way to your stomach. Say the the distances (your set) are relatively short. Then you can burp the air out between the bouts right?

But if you have to swim a long distance, you can't swim and burp in the same time right? This is where it gets funny!!

Air will buildup in your stomach, then some finds its way to the intestines, where it can no longer get burped out. Then the only remaining exit point is to fart it out in the looker rooms, or in the pool (though it's generally easier to fart whilst standing up). I've heard farts that would last almost a full minute LOL (my own that is, I'm not timing that of others, although I wouldn't mind a contest after a 5k swim, I wouldn't come last I'm sure!)

But all that comes down to the fact that you constantly keep water in your mouth, this could be due to the fact that you're not Popeying it enough.

**edit** I just reread your text carefully. You have a clear edge on me. I much prefer to fart the air out whilst being outside the water. But really, don't worry about all that. You just need to learn to swim with less (or no) water in your mouth.

Last edited by CharlesCouturier : 09-06-2012 at 10:50 PM.
Old 09-07-2012

Jbparis11

Charles - the thought of drafting behind you, as you fart out the extra air, just gave me shivers. Ugh. LOL
Old 09-07-2012

PKFFW

I'm wondering if we can turn this negative into a positive. Could the extra propulsive effect from the explosive release of built up gases be a benefit?
Old 09-07-2012

The Parrot
Default So much hot air . . .

I don't think anyone can outdo the experts on this site who can not only swim better and in more different strokes than the rest of us but who are clearly more talented in other ways too - even if we do not benefit from them, thank goodness.

More seriously, I have also found that taking some drinks too close to swimming can also have exactly the effect you describe, especially fruit juice drinks or drinks with milk. Its possibly worse for me because I don't seem to be able to belch - and it takes a lot of time for air to find its way through 40 feet of tubing or whatever is the length of our intestines. But the end(!) result is just the same . . .

Martin T.
Old 09-07-2012

tritri

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKFFW View Post
I'm wondering if we can turn this negative into a positive. Could the extra propulsive effect from the explosive release of built up gases be a benefit?
Only if done in good TI form: streamlined, balanced, and effortless. Never practice struggle. :D
Old 09-08-2012

CharlesCouturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKFFW View Post
Hmmm, yes and no.

You see, as you build more and more gaz, there comes a point where I donno, you may have a few cubic liters.

I'm thinking it could have a favorable impact on balance to actually hold it.

On the final 25, you let everything go!
Old 09-08-2012

PKFFW

Ah yes, I had not considered the bouancy factor!
Old 09-08-2012

The Parrot

That's a very good point. Perhaps Zoggs could be persuaded to make sealed costumes that trap air and act as a pool buoy? i was thinking about this (briefly!) during my 2 mile swim this morning and started to giggle. It seems to be impossible to laugh in the water and keep good form as my stroke instantly went to rats. . .
Time for a fresh thread, I think?

Martin T.
Old 09-08-2012
Coach

CoachBillL
Default Serious reply

This is not a funny problem. I had it myself for a while, and I had a student who would end up on the deck after 1,000 yards with a swollen belly. I don't think it has anything to do with having water in your mouth when you breathe, since Terry and Shinji and me and lots of other people do that all the time. I think it's all about timing the breath, and the solutions are, 1. concentrate on exhaling and let the inhale take care of itself; 2. breathe early in the stroke cycle, just as recovery begins -- this gives you more time to breathe, which helps avoid gasping and swallowing air, which is what causes the problem. A good coach can give you drills to fix this in about ten minutes.