Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2012

oguss0311
Default First strokes vs. self coached...

Hey everyone-
Ive been watching a lot of you tube videos about TI, and have found them quite helpful. But it's time to buy something so I can continue to expand.....
I just don't know if the $29 "First strokes" or the $50 Self coached 10 lessions" packet will best suit me.....
I've always been comfortable in the water- but never "Swam". I signed up for an olympic distance tri in July, and just got started swimming. I'm getting my rear kicked. I'm an avid cycler, and a decent runner- I know it's not fitness..... I can do 25M with ease, and put all I have into form. I feel I'm at least decent, because I glide a good bit, make it to the other side in about 22-26 seconds (& about 11-13 strokes), and breath comfortably. The catch is that I can rarely repeat the feat back to the other side without watching form fall to slop, breathing become poor, stress and anxiety arise, etc. I've been praciticing the 2 drills I know, but I Know that I need to take a serious swing at mastering/becoming proficient in the basics by drilling my butt off. I'm wondering what packet is best for my needs. Perhaps the first stokes will only leave me wanting more? What are other peoples expeinces? I'm Sure that this topic has been covered- but a search of "First stokes vs. self coached 10 lessions" got me nothing.... even when I shortened it to four words, etc. And this computer at work is archaic and slow....I'll be that guy and bring up the thing again. Oh- and spell check is not working- sorry!
And thanks for any input!
Old 03-20-2012
Coach

CoachBillL
Default 10 lesson

First Strokes is really about little kids; you definitely want the 10-lesson dvd. It's very good - but a live coach is better -- fly or drive to a workshop and save a lot of time and effort!
Old 03-20-2012

oguss0311

I might, I live my New Paltz- and climb there all the time! But thats serious money! For someone who has two kids under 5- it's a hard sell on the spouse- lol. Thanks for that input- I'm getting the 10 session one! And I'll still look into the clinic, etc. Thanks!
Old 03-21-2012

Ladyfish
Default Both is best

I agree that a workshop is helpful, but I think you will get much more out of the workshop after having worked through the DVD for awhile. It is tempting to try to get through the DVD quickly and that's OK (human nature) but once you have zoomed through it, plan to spend about a week on each of the DVD Chapters, watch it over and over again and listen to the instructions. It is like a great movie, the more times you watch it the more you will see.

Then when you go to the workshop the moves won't be as foreign, you will have a good mental picture of what the drills are supposed to look like and the coach at the workshop will make everything click for you.

Best wishes....You're gonna love it!
Old 03-21-2012

andyinnorway

Quote:
Originally Posted by oguss0311 View Post
Hey everyone-
Ive been watching a lot of you tube videos about TI, and have found them quite helpful. But it's time to buy something so I can continue to expand.....
I just don't know if the $29 "First strokes" or the $50 Self coached 10 lessions" packet will best suit me.....
I've always been comfortable in the water- but never "Swam". I signed up for an olympic distance tri in July, and just got started swimming. I'm getting my rear kicked. I'm an avid cycler, and a decent runner- I know it's not fitness..... I can do 25M with ease, and put all I have into form. I feel I'm at least decent, because I glide a good bit, make it to the other side in about 22-26 seconds (& about 11-13 strokes), and breath comfortably. The catch is that I can rarely repeat the feat back to the other side without watching form fall to slop, breathing become poor, stress and anxiety arise, etc. I've been praciticing the 2 drills I know, but I Know that I need to take a serious swing at mastering/becoming proficient in the basics by drilling my butt off. I'm wondering what packet is best for my needs. Perhaps the first stokes will only leave me wanting more? What are other peoples expeinces? I'm Sure that this topic has been covered- but a search of "First stokes vs. self coached 10 lessions" got me nothing.... even when I shortened it to four words, etc. And this computer at work is archaic and slow....I'll be that guy and bring up the thing again. Oh- and spell check is not working- sorry!
And thanks for any input!
I paid $14 including delivery for my perpetual motion DVD from movie knights on Amazon. It said second hand but I received a new cellophaned copy anyway.

Ladyfish is right, start with the DVD so that once you have saved for a workshop you will get max value from it, have a full understanding of the method and know which questions you want to ask.
Old 03-21-2012

MikeB
Default Newbie here too :)

Hi - first post here but would like to reiterate some comments. I got the 10 lesson DVD about five weeks ago and have been going to the pool at least three or four times a week since. I found the self coach lessons easy to follow and I'm now just about swimming, and I'm now addicted to the water :) - which is something I NEVER thought I'd hear myself saying.

I have my first triathlon on 13th May - it's only a sprint but the swim will be in a very chilly lake and until very recently the thought of continuously swimming for 750m was a pretty terrifying prospect. Like the OP I cycle a lot but decided to take myself out of my comfort zone and learn something new. Very pleased indeed that I decided to go down the TI route.

I'm chuffed to bits at the progress I've made but have decided to get some tuition from Keith at the Swim Shed, which rather fantastically is about three miles from where I live. I want to go to the next step which will hopefully see me swimming with even less effort than I am now managing.

So good luck to the OP - teaching yourself is a fantastic experience and I thoroughly recommend it!
Old 03-21-2012
Head Coach

terry has disabled reputation
Default Reasons to Teach Yourself

As many have commented, teaching yourself via the 10 Lessons/Self-Coached Workshop DVD will greatly increase uptake from any direct coaching you receive -- whether private lessons or group workshop.
I emphasize just as much that coaching/teaching yourself has been documented as among the things that is especially good at increasing adult brain function. As with muscles, anything that makes the brain work harder increases mass (grows new neurons and more robust circuits) and increasing functionality.
Teaching yourself swimming skills is even more valuable than teaching yourself Math or Mandarin, because it 'wires together' cognitive and motor neurons. Also when you work on learning the Mail Slot entry--to take one among dozens of mini-skills you'll work through during the 10-Lessons series--the muscles you activate to perform that movement secrete a protein called Neural Growth Factor. That travels through the bloodstream to add 'infrastructure' on both the circuits you use to plan, evaluate and adjust the move, and those you use to direct your muscles.
This also happens when working with a coach, but when self-coaching you must work the planning and self-sensing circuits at a much higher level.

May your laps be as happy as mine.

My TI Story
Old 03-21-2012

MikeB

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry View Post
As many have commented, teaching yourself via the 10 Lessons/Self-Coached Workshop DVD will greatly increase uptake from any direct coaching you receive -- whether private lessons or group workshop.
I emphasize just as much that coaching/teaching yourself has been documented as among the things that is especially good at increasing adult brain function. As with muscles, anything that makes the brain work harder increases mass (grows new neurons and more robust circuits) and increasing functionality.
Teaching yourself swimming skills is even more valuable than teaching yourself Math or Mandarin, because it 'wires together' cognitive and motor neurons. Also when you work on learning the Mail Slot entry--to take one among dozens of mini-skills you'll work through during the 10-Lessons series--the muscles you activate to perform that movement secrete a protein called Neural Growth Factor. That travels through the bloodstream to add 'infrastructure' on both the circuits you use to plan, evaluate and adjust the move, and those you use to direct your muscles.
This also happens when working with a coach, but when self-coaching you must work the planning and self-sensing circuits at a much higher level.
Awesome... my first post and I get a reply from the man himself!

As a brief aside: my main sport is squash, which pretty much rules my life and I play almost every day, as well as coach the kids in our club. The TI drills and the whole philosophy behind it has improved my game in the last month - I am much calmer on court and make better shot decisions. So thank you from the very bottom of my heart :)
Old 03-21-2012

janiha
Default All of it!

I had only 22 years at the gym behind me when, out of health reasons, I got into endurance sports. I started to run but got injured pretty fast. I reasoned that it would be better for my body to do several different sports, and decided for a triathlon. Bought my first book about triathlon training, and on the recommended list of reading was Terry's book Total Immersion which I then got. I started practising according to the instructions, and got enormous results for the first few months. After six months I participated in my first try-a-triathlon, a super-sprint. We swam in groups of 20, I was the second one out of the pool after swimming (what I thought was) calmly and feeling fresh for the bike leg. Of the 60 participants in my age-group, I was 4th after the swim after only 6 mths training with the help of Terry's book!
After that, I felt like I hit a plateau, and bought the Perpetual motion video, and again got enormous results! For the first time I could actually experience the feeling of gliding fairly fast in the water without the feeling of massive exertion. This was in October, and now I'm feeling that I've hit a plateau again, which I've learned to love, too, after reading Terry's blog. Nevertheless, I decided to do a workshop which will be in 3 days (YAY!!!).

The point of this long story is that in my experience there's a lot to learn from books, videos, and workshops (I'm hoping!). They complement each other. But much like learning a foreing language, one needs to take it in steps and keep at it.

I've now reached a stage where I can constantly swim 25 m with 14-16 strokes, which is within the optimal range for my height. Now, after the workshop I'm going to start working on more speed without sacrificing the technique. My goal is to double the tri distance every year, and in July it'll be sprint.

Good luck!