Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-29-2012

Bossman46
Default Sinking on Laser Lead Rotation

I am a new self-coaching student and have been just loving patiently learning and mastering the basic drills. I am up to the Laser Lead Rotation. Upon rotating on my back I sink. I endured the pain until I got something "acceptable" (not nearly as buoyant and effortless as in the video). The left side is far worse. Am I doing something wrong?
Old 02-29-2012

daveblt

When you rotate to your back make sure the top of your head , the laser beam,points to the far wall at all times .You are either lifting your head causing your legs to sink or pushing your head down to far as you rotate causing you to be too far under water.

Dave
Old 02-29-2012

Bossman46

Thanks! I'll make note of the today when I hit the pool. It was a very frustrating day yesterday.
Old 02-29-2012
Coach

CoachToddE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossman46 View Post
Upon rotating on my back I sink. I endured the pain until I got something "acceptable" (not nearly as buoyant and effortless as in the video). The left side is far worse. Am I doing something wrong?
Not sure this is quite descriptive enough for an answer. What is your process of rotating to your back from laser lead? Do you exhale all your air out before rotating? Blow all your air out through your nose while rotating? If you do, you will sink. You will need to exhale a little through your nose as you turn to keep water from entering but not all of it. I notice that the inertia of the rolling to my back will cause me to sink a couple of inches and then I will come back to the surface and when my face clears the water (remain relaxed and patient) I'll exhale the rest of my air. This is in addition to what daveblt posted as this will cause sinking as well.
Old 03-01-2012

Bossman46

Thanks guys. Went back to the pool again today. No struggles with the lap swimmers today ; ). The head alignment is the key. I noticed that as I rotate my head changes it's angle. But when I really focus (especially with right shoulder down - my weak side) on head position I do not sink. I am not as relax as I should be but I am focusing. I will concentrate on the breathing also. Great tip! Any other info would be most appreciated.

Skate to stroke feels Amazing!! I glide and glide!
Old 03-03-2012

Bossman46

The training is back on stride in full force. Thanks so much for the advice. I heard once in the video that using fins are okay with the interrupted breathing. I used them the last day of training and find them useful to keep momentum going. My flutter is weak. Is it a good idea to use the fins on the skate - stroke - stroke - stroke - skate - breath exercise? I don't want to cheat.
Old 03-04-2012

Golden Rectangle

I personally don't think that the fins, or any teaching aid is 'cheating.' The key is to see it as a tool, and not to depend on it as a crutch. If having the fins helps keep your momentum up in the pool, so that you can focus on the real point of the drill, that is fine. Remember that the purpose of any teaching aid is to get to the point where you don't need it.

Are you using the fins to also focus on kicking from your hip, instead of your knee. Remember the kick should be your whole leg, starting at the hip. I find that kicking with fins is a great way to practice this, because you can really feel your whole leg engaged. If you are using the fin to compensate for a weak knee kick, then you are just reinforcing bad form.
Old 03-04-2012

Bossman46

Thanks Golden. You are correct on all points. Firstly, I am using good form for my kicking and put a lot of focus on kicking from the hip and not the lower leg. I have used the fins, before this program to practice this as you mentioned.

I think the addition of the fins, especially in the early stages of learning a new drill, help me sooooo much. I do plan on ditching them for parts of my drill session to confirm form under normal power.

Got a suction cup camera mount coming so that I can video my drill session. It will be a big help.
Old 03-05-2012
Coach

CoachBillG

Hey Bossman....I like that :-)

Just to clarify and correct me if I am wrong.....you are okay in laser lead rotation (45 degrees rotation shoulders and hips) and okay on your back, but when you go to rotate onto your back you sink? You might just be on your side too long and that is causing you to sink

Try this.....(breathing to the RIGHT, for example)

1. analysis that your shoulders are at about a 45 degree angle or that the RIGHT shoulder is just popping out of the water
2. analysis that your hips are also at about a 45 degree angle, matching the shoulders
3. as you do just laser lead, kick more toward the wall. This does two things. one allow you to maintain yourself on your side easier and two, it straightens you out. Many new swimmers try to rotate but then continue to kick down towards to bottom of the pool, twisting themselves from the waist.
4. focus on a relax rhythmic kick pattern (1,2,3,4) or (1,2,3,4,5,6). Make sure that the RIGHT leg is kicking on the even numbers
5. focus on the RIGHT leg and on the final count / number, give it a flick as you go to rotate to breathe. This will pop you RIGHT hip up, your LEFT hip down and rotate you quicker and easier.

Give is some time, but it will make rotating to breathe much easier.

Best,
Bill
Old 03-05-2012

Bossman46

Hi Coach,

Thanks for your feedback. Yeah, I have not perfect that float on your back drill. I want to as it will be helpful to have that ability of I get out in open water and need to take a breather! ; ) On the other accounts I am able to get good position and kick correctly ahead of the full rotation. I am pausing though before I rotate to my back. I will use your advice today.

I am already noticing a MAJOR difference in my swimming. Did a lap last week and was not remotely tired. A FIRST! I only did one as my full stroke still has remnants of my previous swimming form. I will be filming today and will try to post some edited film of my session on my site and add a link here . feedback would be great.

My run and bike are going WONDERFUL! With the help of TI I will kill!!!