Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2012
Coach

CoachSuzanne
Default Can you read & follow this basic practice?

Hi all, I'm creating some swim plans for a triathlon and not all participants are familiar wiht Total Immersion. Here is an example of the first practice...is this too difficult to understand? Would this only be appropriate for someone familiar with Total Immersion? If someone was not familiar with Total Immersion, how would you suggested modification, knowing that they may not ever be interested in TI (but of course hopefully they would)

1A (500)
WU: Superman Glide to Swim Progression - Do 3 rounds of the following wiht each of the focal points below
SG X 4, with Focal Point (FP)
SG to swim 3-6 strokes with FP (no breath)
SG to swim 1/2 LENGTH x 2 with FP (0 - 1 breaths)
SG to swim x 25yd, with FP (breath as needed)
Repeat up to 4x25

Focal Points Round#1 Hang head, #2 Hang Hands, #3 Draft Legs (300)

S2: Swim 4-6 additional 25s of chosen FP (150)
Coach of 5 time USA Triathlon Triathlete of the Year, Kirsten Sass
Steel City Endurance, LTD
Fresh Freestyle

Old 02-14-2012

andyinnorway

As long as you were able to demonstrate and explain superman glide before the set and explain that you want them to feel the same feeling of flow during swimming that feel during glide then it should be fine.

If they are stubborn triathletes you might be able to increase their focus by getting them to do the set up the pool and relaxed swim back and then wait and watch their teammates?
Old 02-14-2012

westyswoods
Default Mindset

Coach Suzanne,

Your proposal makes perfect sense to me, although I doubt it will transferable to the triathlete. How does one change the go fast go hard mentality in the course of short time. Individuals need to not only want it in theory, there needs to be an understanding of what it takes.

Development of focus in my mind is the most critical piece of learning TI. This being a very nonintuitive mental exercise for triathlete or anyone for that matter, especially while swimming. It has taken me years to develop this mental skill which is critical for the physical piece and still have miles to go. When first beginning TI, Coaches would ask what did I feel? I honestly had to say, "I didn't know"

I would start by just having them swim a 50. When done ask them what they felt or were focusing on during the 50. No warning, you most likely know what the responses will be.

Now explain your purpose of the sequence and how important that mental part is. In the end you may be able to enlighten some as to the importance of mindful swimming and focal points. Even if just a nano piece sinks in they will be better off. I just don't feel it will have a great impact unless there is a long term commitment, especially for the type A personality of triathletes.

Please let us know how this goes. I would suggest asking for feedback and or a follow up in two or three months monitoring how much progress has been made even to do it for no fee, to get them back.

Having reread your post, I may have misunderstood. Is this a class of some duration or a one time session? All of the above still applies though.

Swim Silent and Be Well
Westy
Old 02-14-2012

tomoy

I think there's a classic Buddhist lesson, which is to ask a class to sit in silence and count how many thoughts they have over X period of time. Being westerners, we marvel at how fast our brain can work, so we pile on the thoughts. Lesson being that of focus, and trying to minimize the number of thoughts one has.

I can imagine this working in a 50M swim. Ask yourself how many different things you think about. How many focal points are normal? Can minimizing the FPs help? Not sure it translates, but I find it interesting.
Old 02-14-2012
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Thanks everyone. The scenario is that I'm writing "generic" training plans for 1500 participants of a local triathlon! The basic ones will be free and I will be writing weekly blog posts to guide people through their training. Obviously I don't want TOO much time % planning going into these free basic ones. I will also be providing plans for sale. The running & cycling is easy for me to scale to various levels.

The swimming is HARD! I cringe at seeing this: Warmup 5x50, drill down, swim back. 10 x 25 moderate tempo. 5 x 50 fast. CD 200 pull.

UGH!!!

Yet people know how to read that and are "expecting" that. How can I deliver better value, yet still simplify that type of practice I wrote above?

I agree that a HUGE component of this is focus, and I will address that in my intro...but there will be people who will simply want the workouts.

Conundrum. The clock is ticking...

Appreciate any more advice.

I considered taking the "bones" of the practice and being a little less mystical... eg

=====================
Swim 1A (500yd total)
Warmup:
4 Pushoffs and glide. Relax and Clear your mind. Let the water support you.
4 1/2 Lengths Swim. Find the same relaxation as before. Deep cleansing breaths between 1/2 lengths. Continue to clear your mind
2 x 25 yd swim. Find the same sensations. Relax, Clear your Mind, Deep Breaths.

Set #1: 3 Rounds of 4 x 25
For each round choose one thought to swim with (Relax your head. Relax your hands. Streamline your legs)
=====================

Is that any different or is that the same? More words, less jargon. What if they were able to swim 2000 per workout already? Same wording but more swimming? Maybe I'm overthinking it all.
Fresh Freestyle

Old 02-14-2012
Coach

CoachSuzanne

I do have to say that my sister in law has shown dramatic improvement in the past 4 weeks with some of the ideas I've been sending her. She swims with a very traditional stroke, and has a traditional swim fast/swim harder tri coach she works with. Both are concerned about technique, but still want to pull hard kick hard.

SInce I've been having her count stroke and try sustaining a stroke count over her longer & harder swims, she's made dramatic imrovement without doing an TI drills. I should perhaps keep her in mind as a typical intermediate to advanced swimmer when I write these plans.

(BTW, she's gone from 1:3x/100 repeats to sustainable 1:20/100yd and a new PR of 1:19 in the past 4 weeks!) She's now asking herself, "how fast can I get?"
Fresh Freestyle

Old 02-14-2012

AWP

Cch Suz

More swimming is always 'better', especially with tri-people, if possible. Not sure how your group is set up but considering they are triathletes perhaps categorizing the practice plan simply as "lane #1 swimmers, lane #2 swimmers and so on, a jargon they almost assuredly understand, and suggest/recommend distances for each following the same plan? Just thinking out loud...
Old 02-14-2012

igorner
Default Cave Man Me

Since starting with TI and thus now knowing what SG is the instructions seem clear to me.

On another note, I still find that I'm prone to "secret racing". As much as I try to focus on a particular FP...someone comes up by me in the next lane..and something inside wants to "beat' them to the wall. Caveman instincts I'm sure.....but maybe it would be a good idea to warn your neophytes against this......and maybe throw the caveman some advice?
Ian
Old 02-15-2012

rbs24h

I would write your basic plans as swim only plans, WU, MS, CD- minutes only. Those are available on line anyway.

I am assuming a Sprint Tri.

For the "For Pay" Plans, I would write Title-Time-WU-Drills-MS-CD with distances and purpose of the workout and include Focal Points and Superman Glide etc. in the Drill section every workout. They help with balance no matter the stroke and you can lead them to the whole stroke with a little teaser during taper period drills. Include a way to find you if they "Want To Love The Swim?"

I think it would be easier to sell swim plans, AFTER the race, but never tried it. Nobody really does just one triathlon. Good luck.
Old 02-15-2012
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Thanks again guys...great advice. Secret racing and the basic plans. I agree on both. :) Also Paul, you are right..give them the basic stuff & make sure they can find me. Continuity...
Fresh Freestyle