Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2011

Mike Wray
Default Popov Style

I am making some progress with the TI method. One of the things that has helped me most is keeping my lead hand extended until my recovering hand is nearly back. I wasn't doing this before particularly when breathing. I've noticed that Ian Thorpe and Michael Phelps do a similar style particularly when swimming slowly. I've just looked at a video of Alexander Popov, who Terry mentions quite a bit in his book, and I am surprised to see that his style is completely different. He is definitely not front quadrant swimming; his arms are more opposite like a windmill. This makes no difference to my personal practice intentions but I think it is interesting.
Mike
Old 11-01-2011

Janos

Popov was a sprinter, whilst Thorpe and Phelps are middle distance swimmers.

Janos
Old 11-02-2011

Mike Wray

Janos, thanks for your reply. I accept that is the reason.

The thing that made me raise this is that in his book Terry uses Popov as an example of a swimmer who made efficiency rather than just arm pull power a keystone of his training regime. I don't doubt that is true, but when I looked at Popov I expected to see a style which reflected the TI approach rather than entirely the opposite which appears to be the case.
Mike
Old 11-02-2011

swim2Bfree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Wray View Post
...when I looked at Popov I expected to see a style which reflected the TI approach rather than entirely the opposite which appears to be the case.
TI style (done well) may be efficient; an efficient freestyle, however, is not necessarily TI style.
Old 11-02-2011

Janos

Popov astounded the world and a lot of swim instructors when he not only started winning but doing it with less strokes and less perceived effort than his competitors. This in a sport where winning margins are minimal.
Progressive swim instructors like Terry picked up on this, and after watching him train, where he practised every aspect of his stroke slowly and where there was much emphasis on streamline, and reducing drag as opposed to using muscle power to force the stroke, they adopted these ideas and developed them. The result is the TI method. Which admittedly, is more suited to middle and long distance swimming, but the ethos is equally valid in sprinting.
There is footage of Popov training online, where you can see him practice drills similar to the ones TI have adopted.

Janos
Old 11-02-2011
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janos View Post
Popov astounded the world and a lot of swim instructors when he not only started winning but doing it with less strokes and less perceived effort than his competitors. This in a sport where winning margins are minimal.
Progressive swim instructors like Terry picked up on this, and after watching him train, where he practised every aspect of his stroke slowly and where there was much emphasis on streamline, and reducing drag as opposed to using muscle power to force the stroke, they adopted these ideas and developed them. The result is the TI method. Which admittedly, is more suited to middle and long distance swimming, but the ethos is equally valid in sprinting.
There is footage of Popov training online, where you can see him practice drills similar to the ones TI have adopted.

Janos
Along the same lines, Popov & his coach recognized the math of speed and trained accordingly...not simply training to get in yards, hard sprints, hard work, etc, but trianed to ensure that each stroke had maximum benefit.

The differences you note are primarily in stroke timing...but the fundamentals of balance, streamlining & propulsion are all essentially intact.
Coach of 5 time USA Triathlon Triathlete of the Year, Kirsten Sass
Steel City Endurance, LTD
Fresh Freestyle

Old 11-03-2011

arunks

Found a few classic videos of Popov.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADn4k2ufEfs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyYO7eUYLPY
Interesting to see how we have improvised the technique trying to mimic nature. Many similarities seen with TI like the relaxed or marionnete arms, high elbow led recovery..
Old 11-03-2011

Mike Wray

arunks,
That's very interesting. Thanks for posting it. It is clear that Popov focussed on efficiency but it also emphasizes my original observation that the arms work opposite each other rather than the front quadrant, patient lead hand style which seems to me a trademark of TI.
Mike
Old 11-03-2011

Janos

Mike. If you were to increase your TI style stroke rate to the level needed to be competitive at the 50m frestyle, there would be no discernable patient leading arm. The leading arm is there all the same. See part 4 at 0.21. Stop the film and look at his position. Classic TI.

Janos
Old 11-03-2011
Banned

Lawrence

He's a bit splashy.