Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Swim Your Way to Health
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2009

asher
Default arthritis and TI

Hi.

I just heard about TI today. I'm a swimmer since the age of 8 (in my late 40's now). As a teenager I swam something like 8k a day - 4 in the am, 4 in the pm. Now days my daily dose is something like 1-1.5 k. However, in the past year I started experiencing pain in my shoulder. It's not so apparent when I'm swimming - the joint heats up. But at night it's difficult to sleep on that left shoulder.
Since I have what is suspected to be arthritis in my knees, I figured that the shoulder pain is arthritis too.
So my question is how much TI can help somebody like me.

Also, how many arthritis suferres are using TI? To how many did TI help? I tried to swim with it and the following pain sometimes doesn't worth it - as much as I enjoy swimming.

Thanks.
Old 03-26-2009

Rhoda

Get it diagnosed first. It may not be arthritis, it could be something else.
Old 03-26-2009

kyliechops
Default Arthritis & TI

I have been swimming the TI way since Feb. 2008 and I have arthritis in my lower back and knees along with rotator cuff tendonitis in both shoulders. I think in general, TI swimming has helped me by keeping things moving correctly. When I was first learning backstroke, my shoulders "popped" a lot, but that's because I wasn't rotating and getting my arms wide enough. I've got that fixed now, so my shoulders are fine. My back usually only bothers me when I'm doing the short axis strokes, but I know if I was just sitting around stagnating, I'd be much worse off.

I agree that you should have a doctor take a look at your shoulders and not just assume it's arthritis. Shoulder problems can often be created by years of swimming incorrectly as well, so TI swimming could alleviate some of those problems if that is the cause.
Old 03-26-2009

madvet

See my post in freestyle "hand entry and shoulder strain". I was able to swim 100,000 yards in 2 weeks with no discomforts in my shoulder, just 1 month after tweaking my bad shoulder with improper technique. Careful attention to TI techniques along with some of the insights from previous articles helped me to do this. See some of the articles by Terry Laughlin in the archives of the "magazine" from several years ago about his recovery from some very severe shoulder problems.