Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2011

Fisch
Default Swim training for Ironman

Hello !

I will take part in an Ironman that will take place end August and I would need some advices on how to make best use of the time I dedicate to swim training.

It will be my first Ironman and my only goal is to finish. A year ago, I couldnít swim freestyle. Iíve spent a lot of time in the water, practicing the TI method and then attended a TI course last spring.

I am now able to swim freestyle, though Iím not very fast: it takes me about 1h30 to swim the 3.8 km in a 25m pool. I donít feel any struggle, in the contrary this pace feels like I could swim foreverÖ

I now have access to a 50m pool and while I still can manage to swim these 3.8 km, it feels much more difficult.

In general, I swim 2 times a week for 45 to 60 minutes each in a 50m pool and I try to swim one more session (between 1h15 and 1h45) in a 25m pool.

Now, as my goal is to save as much energy as possible for the bike and run part of the Ironman, what should I do during these sessions? I have recently started, during my 45 to 60 minutes swim sessions, to swim at a 2'10 pace per 100 m for 10 to 15 times, but I am not sure whether this will help me get as fresh as possible over the 3.8 km...

Thanks in advance for your input !
Old 05-26-2011

ewa.swimmer

If your goal is to finish your swim with the most energy I say you should concentrate mostly on your stroke efficiency. It will pay off a lot more than trying to be stronger by doing a lot of distance.
Old 05-26-2011

steve0732

Go to the swimming in triathalon tab instead of using the freestyle tab. There are lots of questions and thoughts on sets, time and training.

Good Luck!