Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Links and References
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2011

drone
Default fingernail damage - any solutions out there?

Hello all
Like many of you, I spend a lot of time in the pool, which causes ... considerable chipping and splitting (de-laminating) of my fingernails. Has anybody else encountered this problem? Any solutions would be most appreciated.
Old 02-05-2011

boken

Mine too. I noticed that they've gotten much more apt to break since I picked up swimming a year ago. My skin is drier too. I don't have a silver bullet but here's what I do: I shower off with soap right after I get out. I use an actual soap (no detergents like sodium laurel sulfate) that is very easy on my skin with repeat uses. I started painting my toenails and it seems to have insulated them a bit from the effects. I have not tried that with my fingernails. That might be a little harder for the guys in the culture that I'm in but I bet it could be done sneakily. A clear-coat polish is nicely transparent but high-sheen glossy and a dead give-away -- but maybe if you dulled the finish with a soft file it would look natural.
Old 02-05-2011

borate

Quote:
Originally Posted by drone View Post
Like many of you, I spend a lot of time in the pool, which causes ... considerable chipping and splitting (de-laminating) of my fingernails. Has anybody else encountered this problem?
A constant annoyance. Here's what hooked-on-nails.com has to say...

"Brittle Nails are characterized by a vertical splitting or separation of the nail plate layers at the distal (free) edge of the nail plate.

In most cases, nail splitting and vertical ridges are characteristic of the natural aging process. This nail problem is also the result of overexposure to water and chemical solvents such as household cleaning solutions. As we age, the nail bed's natural flow of oils and moisture is greatly reduced. This oil and moisture is the cement that holds the nail plate layers together and gives the plate its inherent flexibility.

At the first signs of splitting or peeling, re-hydrate the nail plate layers with a good quality cuticle and nail oil that contains Jojoba and Vitamin E as two of the botanical oils. Jojoba oil has a very tiny molecule which can penetrate the nail plate surface, open up the layers and draw the Vitamin E in after it.

The molecular structure of Vitamin E is too large to penetrate the nail plate layers or the surface layer of the skin without the benefits of Jojoba oil. Oil the nail plate and surrounding cuticle at least twice daily; more if you have your hands in water a lot. Wear gloves whenever working with household cleaning solutions, and remember: water is considered the 'universal solvent', and is indeed a 'chemical'."

Last edited by borate : 02-05-2011 at 12:48 AM.
Old 02-05-2011
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by borate View Post
A constant annoyance. Here's what hooked-on-nails.com has to say...

"Brittle Nails are characterized by a vertical splitting or separation of the nail plate layers at the distal (free) edge of the nail plate.

In most cases, nail splitting and vertical ridges are characteristic of the natural aging process. This nail problem is also the result of overexposure to water and chemical solvents such as household cleaning solutions. As we age, the nail bed's natural flow of oils and moisture is greatly reduced. This oil and moisture is the cement that holds the nail plate layers together and gives the plate its inherent flexibility.
Fascinating! I've noticed vertical ridging in my thumbnails over the past few months but never attributed it to swimming, I thought it was nutritional. I'll try the oils (jojoba & vit e)
Coach of 5 time USA Triathlon Triathlete of the Year, Kirsten Sass
Steel City Endurance, LTD
Fresh Freestyle

Old 02-05-2011

haschu33

I had times in the last two years where I swam daily for two or three months - no nail problems at all. I never have any nail problems (except chewing...) I am in my fifties, so putting it on age and water might not be the point.

I read something about adding something with silicil acid to your nutrition.
Old 02-05-2011

Richardsk

My nails are always in a terrible state from banging them on the walls when doing backstroke and on the lane ropes when doing just about everything. In spite of being male I would be quite prepared to treat them with clear nail varnish and possibly with jojoba oil and vitamin E.

After all flamenco guitarists are known to coat their nails liberally with thin layers of varnish until they are as hard a tortoiseshell plectrums, and I don't think anyone thinks they are big sissies for doing so.
Old 03-18-2011

borate

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachSuzanne View Post
I've noticed vertical ridging in my thumbnails over past months but never attributed it to swimming, I thought it was nutritional. I'll try the oils (jojoba & vit e)
Nivea soft moisturizing cream (6.8 oz.) claims to provide jojoba and E.

I've been massaging a dab into my nails once or twice daily for a month. Results look promising, though they might be attributable to changing weather.
No flaking or chipping now. Nail edges are smoother. Worth a try, considering that the tub is about $6 US. In this usage that jar could last a lifetime.

Last edited by borate : 03-18-2011 at 12:25 AM.
Old 03-18-2011

drone

Thanks Borate. I'll give it a shot.
Upon reading more on the subject, apparently water (especially chlorinated) tends to seep between layers as well as contribute to drying out the nailbed.
I found that Murray's Beeswax, in a 100 gram jar, does the best job of repelling water, after the failure of petroleum jelly and shea butter, both of which dissolve in water.
It is sticky though, so I suit up and shower first, put on my swim cap, then dry my hands and apply just before hitting the pool deck. I have to finesse my goggles on, but so far, so good.
After the swim, soap takes it off, and then a moisturizer - such as you've recommended. Here's hoping.
Old 03-18-2011
Coach

Louis Tharp
Default Try This

RegeneMax. It's capsules. You can get it online or from alternative medicine docs. Made by Xymogen, Orlando, FL.

Works for me. Two a day. Gave me nails like nails.

Louis Tharp

Blog:
http://www.totalimmersion.net/blog/b...Louis%20Tharp/

TI Profile
http://www.totalimmersion.net/compon.../Louis%20Tharp
Old 08-05-2011

borate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis Tharp View Post
RegeneMax. It's capsules. You can get it online or from alternative medicine docs. Made by Xymogen, Orlando, FL.

Works for me. Two a day. Gave me nails like nails.
Lou's approach might be the answer - if expensive.
After several months of massaging Nivea soft moisturizing cream into the nails almost daily it appears to have helped, but flaking persists to a degree.

Here's an article that attempts to, uh, nail it down.

Last edited by borate : 08-05-2011 at 03:33 AM.