Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > O2 in H20: Breathing Skills
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2012

AE
Default Can׳t find the air during blance drills

Hi all: i'm recovering from a shoulder surgery and exercising only balance drills without active hand movement. I mainly practice skate drills and core balance drills, i.e. swimming with both arms beside by body and a suble flutter kick. However, during the core balance drills i find it very difficult to find the air when i roll my body and slightly nod my head. I find myself about 2 inches below water surface and then, surprisingly, after 2-3 seconds, the head resurfaces and i can breath. This also happens to me during skating drills, although to a lesser extent. Any ideas?
Old 12-12-2012

Starrfam
Default Re: can't find air

Quote:
Originally Posted by AE View Post
Hi all: i'm recovering from a shoulder surgery and exercising only balance drills without active hand movement. I mainly practice skate drills and core balance drills, i.e. swimming with both arms beside by body and a suble flutter kick. However, during the core balance drills i find it very difficult to find the air when i roll my body and slightly nod my head. I find myself about 2 inches below water surface and then, surprisingly, after 2-3 seconds, the head resurfaces and i can breath. This also happens to me during skating drills, although to a lesser extent. Any ideas?
I am guessing it is either you are not rotating your body/shoulders enough, or possibly poor head position...or both.

During your core balance drills, if your head is too far down, and not just relaxed/neutral, in addition to not rotating ("just enough"), you may find that you are still underwater. You may not be rotating your body/shoulders enough to allow for just a small nod to get to the air. Make sure your shoulder clears, and if so, you should be able to just rotate the head, and meet the air. You may want to practice rotating far enough to the "sweet spot", and get used to comfortable easy breaths, and then start to reduce your rotation to "just enough". Good luck!
Js
Old 12-12-2012
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Or this is totally normal. As you rotate around from flat on stomach to on side to on back and all the positions inbetween your body will rebalance itself from the perspective of how much of the body us underwater.

Flat on your stomach much of the body is at the surface and the back of hte head is near the surface too...same as when you are on your back floating, the face is near. But when you rotate onto your side, since your head is attached to hte neck in the middle of the torso...it sinks underwater while your side is at the surface.

Rotate the body first and lset it stabilize at the new angle, then rotate the head around and see what it does. You can rorate both at the same time, but it's a little more disconcerting that way.

Play with it.
Coach of 5 time USA Triathlon Triathlete of the Year, Kirsten Sass
Steel City Endurance, LTD
Fresh Freestyle

Old 12-12-2012

ALMD

I was exactly experiencing the same thing you mentioned until recently...even the coach I hired to help me sort that out, couldn't help...finally I figured it out myself..

I noticed, when I roll my right shoulder and hip to breath on my back, my mouth takes ( like you said exactly seconds longer to clear the water ) ....my mouth clears the water fast and I don't have to wait extra seconds for it to resurface...

I started noticing that if I delay my head rotation until my shoulders started to turn, that's when my mouth takes longer to clear the water...

The fix....my head immediately starts to turn towards my left shoulder as I start to initiate the roll from the left shoulder direction...

when I applied that to the right shoulder...start turning your head towards the respective shoulder before rolling your shoulder...your head turn happen almost immediately before shoulder starts to turn/roll....mouth clears the water fast, and doesn't take few seconds for my mouth to clear the water and head to resurface...

now rolling to both sides clear the water the same thing...no few seconds extra needed for mouth to clear water surface...

I fired the coach eventually... he was of no help !! lol

Best of luck
Old 12-17-2012

roman100

Quote:
Originally Posted by AE View Post
I wonder if it would help if you kept more residual air in your lungs during the rotation, thus getting your torso and head up slightly higher. I find this works for me, when doing this drill.
Old 02-15-2013

ALMD

AE ...any updates from your side