Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2012

Rincewind
Default TI for kids?

Is there any TI advice or material for teaching freestyle to a 5yr old child?
Old 05-07-2012
Coach

CoachBillL
Default Kids

There's the dvd First Strokes, which is good, but not exactly intended to be a how-to. I wish that Dave Cameron, and/or Cari Laughlin, and/or Kevin Millerick (this is just who I happen to know about), or any other coaches with real experience in this area, would write and publish a big fat e-book on this subject.
Old 05-08-2012

bx
Default Structured learning for young children

Introducing young children to TI, or any structured learning of technqiue sounds like an excellent idea!

In my own local pool (nr. Bournemouth, UK), they've recently decided to offer "Wet and Wacky" kids sessions on every Saturday and Sunday. ie. Filling the pool with inflatables and playing pop music. I wouldn't begrudge the loss of time available for regular pool use if I thought these sessions offered any real carry-over benefits to getting kids interested in swimming.
Old 05-08-2012

ian mac
Default Fun is learning too

BX,
Not sure if I understood properly your rant - do you begrudge them their Wet and Wacky time as it doesn't seem to carry over to something "useful"? As father of 5 children between the ages of 3 and 14, I have spent many years simply playing with my children in the water. Through that play they have learned confidence, water safety and rules, how to interact with others and the sheer joy of moving through the water.

Sometimes I feel that as parents and adults we try to push our kids to excel and forget that they are kids and that play is a crucial part of their development. Having said that, I also for many years have worked as a volunteer at local YMCA pools teaching new instructors TI techniques to add to their repertoire so yes, TI is informally being taught to some children. But for heaven's sake, let them play as much as possible - life isn't linear and sometimes structure can be overrated.
ian mac
Old 05-08-2012

bx

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian mac View Post
BX,
Not sure if I understood properly your rant - do you begrudge them their Wet and Wacky time as it doesn't seem to carry over to something "useful"?
No, of course I don't begrudge the kids, that would be ridiculous. I begrudge the pool management for allocating a new chunk of scarce pool time at weekends towards an activity that doesn't seem particularly useful - albeit in my non-expert (as I'm not a father) opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian mac View Post
As father of 5 children between the ages of 3 and 14, I have spent many years simply playing with my children in the water. Through that play they have learned confidence, water safety and rules, how to interact with others and the sheer joy of moving through the water.
Yes, of course playing in the water is important and useful. That's why my pool always has 1/3 unlaned space, and it's always full of kids having a great time, which is fantastic. This is in addition to the separate teaching pool.

As a youngster, I too played around. In fact I still do! I remember, the pool I used as a kid also had a very occasional "wet and wacky" session. All I remember of it, and see nowadays, is everyone scrambling to sit on top of the various inflatables. Which I suppose is the point? I dare to question, and am happy to open myself up for criticism, whether this provides some special type of development (aquatic or social) that can't be met by playing IN the water, or from other leisure pursuits.

Last edited by bx : 05-08-2012 at 04:03 PM. Reason: edited for clarity
Old 05-09-2012

andyinnorway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
Is there any TI advice or material for teaching freestyle to a 5yr old child?
I would think a 5 year old would be able to follow the standard TI material? I have taught kids 'adult' singing techniques and they tend to get it quicker than the adults as they just do it, rather than rationalize it.

You can always disguise some of the drills into more child friendly language, e.g. let's be sharks underwater or similar. They also love the challenge of most and minimum.

Our local pool has a lot of 'inflatable' sessions and I find it irritating as it consumes the whole pool, where normal play doesn't need to. More of a problem when facilities have very restricted opening.