Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Favorite Practices and Sets
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2012
Head Coach

terry has disabled reputation
Default Back to the Pool after 2-Month Hiatus -- with and without TT

I've been recovering from a torn meniscus since before Christmas. My last practice in a 25y pool was Dec 22. Pushoffs became too painful to continue. An MRI revealed torn meniscus in right knee. (Later MRI showed frayed supraspinatus - probably years old - in left shoulder with badly inflamed greater tuberosity.)
So I put aside all thoughts and goals of short course Masters swimming and began to look ahead to open water season. Since then I've been doing 30 min sessions in the Endless Pool, about 5x/week. About 95% has been very gentle 'stroke tuning' with a particular focus on 2BK.

Yesterday 2/27 was my first pool practice since 12/22. I'm taking a few days of R&R in St Pete FL and don't have access to an Endless. So I swam in the North Shore Pool.
I did a single set:
4 x 50 @1.20
3 x 100 @1.20
2 x 150 @1.20
1 x 200 @1.20
1 x 200 @1.18
2 x 150 @1.16
3 x 100 @1.14
4 x 50 @1.12

The exciting thing about this set is how little 'rust' I experienced.
I started at 14+16SPL on 1st 50
Over the course of the first half of the pyramid, I steadily improved my average SPL from a range of 14 to 16 to never exceeding 14SPL on the 1st 200. It was an encouraging sign of how strong my neural patterning is that I was able to improve Stroke Length (reduce stroke count) while maintaining Tempo and increasing repeat distance on my first pool session in over two months.

I then held the 13-14 SPL range all the way down the 2nd half of the pyramid, while steadily increasing Tempo.
The difference between my first 50 (30 strokes @1.20) and my final 50 (27 strokes @1.12) is 5.8 seconds.

Today's practice was also a single set, mixing BK and FR. Today my metrics were SPL and Time, instead of SPL and Tempo.
I swam three rounds of
4 x 50 (25BK-25FR)
2 x 100 (50BK-50FR)
1 x 200 (100BK-100FR)

I added 1 SPL to each stroke in each round
Round 1 14SPL BK - 13SPL FR
Round 2 15/14 SPL
Round 3 16/15 SPL

My primary task was to try to maintain same pace on 50s, 100s, 200 in each round. I did this with reasonable success.
My secondary task was to improve pace, without increasing effort, simply by increasing SPL. I did this with good success.
Pace per 50 improved from 50 to 48 to 46 seconds per round.

Tomorrow I'll swim in the Gulf. Maybe Thurs too, before returning to the North Shore Pool Fri before our flight home since it will be set up LCM.

May your laps be as happy as mine.

My TI Story
Old 02-28-2012

Cindy2015
Default Getting back into the swim of things

Hi Terry,
I recently purchased your TI dvd. I have gone through some of it but am wondering if you or any group you know of teaches TI in Canada and in particular Ottawa, Ontario.
I have a goal of swimming Lake Ontario in 2015 and would really like to be efficient in TI. I figure this will help save me some energy. I was a competitive swimmer throughout my life and have competed in triathlons, but find my knees and back are not allowing me to do triathlons any longer, so I needed a new goal.

I am also looking for a coach sometime next year. Any help or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Cindy Zakoor
Old 03-09-2012
Coach

CoachBillL
Default Post-recovery practice

Terry,

Have you tried to change anything about your stroke after your time off from swimming? That is, are you doing anything particularly intended to avoid re-fraying your supraspinatus and reinflaming your greater tuberosity? Or, just trying to swim as well as possible? (One of my students has a SLAP tear, and I just had an orthopedic surgeon in a workshop -- he operated on both shoulders of his swimming buddy -- so I'm thinking about injuries more than usual.)

Bill
Old 03-09-2012

andyinnorway
Default Egoscue method to prevent injury.

Coach Bill's question reminds of this

http://www.amazon.com/Egoscue-Method...1305072&sr=8-1

I read as much of it as I could but it wasn't the most reader friendly, perhaps it is old.

anyway the idea is that most sports injuries are caused by incorrect movement or posture not excessive use.
Old 03-09-2012

ian mac
Default Swimming Lake Ontario

Cindy2015/
Good luck on your ambitious goal to swim Lake Ontario! Living and training in the Greater Toronto Area for more than 20 years as a Master's swimmer, I have had the privilege of training with more than 10 swimmers who have successfully accomplished this lofty goal.

If you wished to send me a private e-mail, I can put you in touch with several terrific swimmers from Toronto who can give you great advice on how to go about completing your goal. Keep pushing Terry to come up to Ontario for some seminars - swimmers all over Canada are clamoring for TI.

Best in your endeavour,
Ian