Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2012

andyinnorway
Default One of my greatest swims ever

Hoping to start a sticky thread here. As I move into the first week of my second year swimming I realize I have had up to 100 best swims ever in the last twelve months as I make small breakthroughs or manage to do something for the first time.

I thought it would be nice for people to share these joyful moments here on the forum, whether its a new personal best, a swim in the mountains, discovering 2bk or just enjoying the sensation of the water, if you have a great swim write a couple of lines in this post.

Today I had a great swim for 2 reasons.

firstly I decided to do a sprint set

20X25

Start TT 1.2 and hold SPL 15. If successful relaxed swim back, if unsuccessful have one more try.

Each success reduce TT by 0.02.

Goal

TT 1.2-1.0 SPL 15
TT 1.0-0.9 SPL 16
TT 0.9-0.8 SPL 17

3 beat push off on all.

I had the pool to myself, the water was a sprint training delight at around 69-70deg and I needed only 3 second attempts to complete the set as above.

Feeling good I then took my TT down to 0.7 which I have never done before.

The first length I lost the count and inhaled some water in my nose.

I then rehearsed the SR while walking down the pool.

The second attempt I hit SPL 22 and held the count breathing every 4

The third attempt I hit SPL 21 and held the count breathing every 4

It did feel a bit like road runner though with my arms whirring at that speed.

Had a great swim today?
Old 02-20-2012

ewa.swimmer
Default Great swim

I had a great swim today. There was a winter advisory and snow up in the mountains but the beach just had a few sprinkles. Gotta love the Big Island. Friends and I headed for the half Ironman buoy but stopped to look at a flying gunnard fish (looks like a big moth swimming underwater). Just before the 1.2 turn around we met up with dolphins. We swam with them for about 20 minutes. I really work at no bubbles and calm energy around them. On the way back another friend called us over and we swam above a manta ray for another 10 min.
Pool work is okay and I put my time in but you just can't beat open ocean.
Old 02-20-2012

swim2Bfree

I had a beautiful swim today. Outdoors... 50m pool... about 5km total. Great way to celebrate the "hump day" of the Presidents Day weekend.

If I focus on it, I can usually maintain a constant SPL in a short-course pool (25 yds), pretty much indefinitely. For me, that's 13-15, depending on pace. Today, at the end of my session, I challenged myself: 1000m (20 lengths) maintaining the same SPL each 50m length. It was an interesting challenge (for me), because I usually don't count strokes in a long-course pool, much less try to maintain a constant SPL.

I'm happy to report that with the exception of one length, I did it: 38 strokes (19 cycles) per length for 1000 (or rather, 950) meters. I glanced at the pace clock when I finished... and it was a reasonable time... but the precision and consistency indicated by my stroke counts pleased me more than almost any "time" could have.
Old 02-25-2012

andyinnorway

My Perpetual motion DVD arrived yesterday and I was reminded how smooth Terry's stroke was compared to mine.

So Today I left everything at home except the hat, goggles, trunks and wedding ring and went to the pool to enjoy every stroke (and think about my high forearm recovery).

So often when my watch is on, I swim a few smooth laps and then start timing my 100's because I think its going to be a good day.

This swim was wonderful, just length after length of enjoying the water.

A great swim and a lesson learnt for myself as to why I am swimming anyway.

I have also found a store in Orlando with the Garmin 910xt in stock, totally sold out in europe with 7 month waiting in Norway.
Old 02-25-2012

ian mac
Default Watching a friend breakthrough

Recently I have been helping a friend who wants to do an Ironman distance tri with his swimming. He has always had difficulty with breathing and last year spent more of his open water swimming doing side stroke than freestyle.

Over the last 4 weeks with the help of various TI drills, he has made dramatic improvements. Today I had him do 20 lengths of freestyle progression from superman glide all the way to full stroke. After that, he did a 4 x 25, 3 x 50, 2 x 75, 1 x 100 holding an SPL of 16! Given that he was taking 22-25 strokes 4 weeks ago, I was more excited about his swim than my own.
Ian

Last edited by ian mac : 02-25-2012 at 05:45 PM. Reason: spelling mistakes