Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Favorite Practices and Sets
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2012

fransilica
Default New to TI Swimming

I purchased the PMF DVD and the 2004 Edition of "Total Immersion" Book at the beginning of the year. In the past three weeks, I have spent 26 hours drilling and have only progressed to Lesson 3.4. Although I feel my balance is good (mostly still not as good at rotating on my left track), I am very slow to complete even one lap of stroking. I am new to swimming freestyle and have had no previous experience with technique in swimming. Is it reasonable to expect I can progress to complete a triathlon with a 1.5K swim the end of May if I continue to spend 10-15 hours a week working on the lessons? The cut-off time for the swim is 55 minutes. I am concerned I may be setting unreasonable expectations. I am in pretty decent conditioning, completed a marathon last year and am comfortable with biking as well. Mahalo for your help and insights!

Last edited by fransilica : 01-22-2012 at 02:21 AM.
Old 01-22-2012

ewa.swimmer
Default Aloha

I have seen a person go from barely swimming a length to swimming over a mile in less than a week at a TI open water camp in Kona. I don't think it's unrealistic to swim 1.5K in a couple of months. It does help A LOT to get feedback from someone.

If you live in Oahu or the Big Island we can meet up for a swim.
Old 01-22-2012

fransilica

Great! I live in Honolulu and practice at the Kaimuki branch of the YMCA right now. I am also okay with swimming in the ocean if that works better. Maybe at Ala Moana Beach Park?
Old 01-22-2012

ewa.swimmer

Send me an email by clicking on "ewa.swimmer" and we can set it up for tomorrow or next weekend. Ala Moana is great this time of year if you are not an experienced open water swimmer.
Old 01-22-2012

andyinnorway

Quote:
Originally Posted by fransilica View Post
I purchased the PMF DVD and the 2004 Edition of "Total Immersion" Book at the beginning of the year. In the past three weeks, I have spent 26 hours drilling and have only progressed to Lesson 3.4. Although I feel my balance is good (mostly still not as good at rotating on my left track), I am very slow to complete even one lap of stroking. I am new to swimming freestyle and have had no previous experience with technique in swimming. Is it reasonable to expect I can progress to complete a triathlon with a 1.5K swim the end of May if I continue to spend 10-15 hours a week working on the lessons? The cut-off time for the swim is 55 minutes. I am concerned I may be setting unreasonable expectations. I am in pretty decent conditioning, completed a marathon last year and am comfortable with biking as well. Mahalo for your help and insights!
Fransilica, good luck with your training for your triathlon. I started last February and managed a open mile swim race at the beginning of July so the time periods are similar. Takes a while to get up to 200 and then 400m then after that the rest is almost overnight.
Old 01-22-2012

igorner
Default Re : New to TI

Given the level of commitment you have mentioned I think your goal is well within reach. I started TI just this past December and I completed a 1200 metre swim this past Thursday. I am in no way a marathoner!

I have mentioned elsewhere on this site that I find it very helpful to carry a mental picture of the "stroke " with me to the pool. I watch the TI masters on video over and over (as well as the practice) and rehearse in my imagination before ever taking to the water.

I, too am aiming to to a tri this summer for the first time...good luck. I hope to read a post from you after your successful completion!

Ian
Old 01-22-2012

fransilica

Hi Ewa.Swimmer,

I am unable to send you an email. I receive a message that you do not want emails sent. However, I am interested in meeting up with you for a swim. Mahalo.
Old 01-23-2012

dshen

By the way, Coach Todd Erickson has been running some TI workshops in Oahu. You can check the workshops tab for a listing there.
Old 01-23-2012

ewa.swimmer
Default Email

deniseboatwright@email.com