Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2011
Banned

Lawrence
Default Getting it

I think there are two views as to how one experiences progress with one's freestyle technique.

First view: practice produces continual although incremental improvement.

Second view: improvement consists of incremental progress punctuated by big leaps forward.

I'm in the second camp but would be interested which others put themselves in.

I have a further claim: the second view is the correct view. If you adhere to the first view then you're not asking enough of your practice sessions.

Last edited by Lawrence : 10-29-2011 at 03:01 PM.
Old 10-29-2011

andyinnorway

I think the changes you make are measured and incremental but the effect these changes can have on your performance can be exponential.

Freestyle swimming is a good example of something where the whole is greater than the sum of the parts.
Old 10-29-2011
Banned

Lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyinnorway View Post
I think the changes you make are measured and incremental but the effect these changes can have on your performance can be exponential.

Freestyle swimming is a good example of something where the whole is greater than the sum of the parts.
If the effect is exponential that's a big leap forward. Most changes don't have such an effect.

I have never understood the whole vs. sum of parts distinction. Surely all things are the sum of their parts.
Old 10-30-2011

Grant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
If the effect is exponential that's a big leap forward. Most changes don't have such an effect.

I have never understood the whole vs. sum of parts distinction. Surely all things are the sum of their parts.
Hi Lawrence.
If one can accept there is such a thing as synergy then it is possible that one and one could result in three.

Last edited by Grant : 10-30-2011 at 03:40 AM.
Old 10-30-2011
Banned

Lawrence

That just begs the question, though.
Old 10-30-2011

DD_l_enclume

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
Hi Lawrence.
If one can accept there is such a thing as synergy then it is possible that one and one could result in three.
That can be seen in cyclism, where a single cycler is slower than a group (because of the wind shielded by the 1st cyclers).

A more striking example are ants.
Each ant is *programmed* to follow a pheromone trail.
Together they are able to find the shortest path between 2 points. Something they can't do on their own.

DD
Old 10-30-2011
Banned

Lawrence

A kettle without water is useless. A kettle with water allows you to make any number of hot drinks. Is that synergy?
Old 10-30-2011

Mike Wray

In response to Lawrence,
Nothing to do with swimming but in for instance a music performance, one person in a group can have an inspiring effect on another and vice versa causing a better performance from each when they are together than apart.
Mike
Old 10-30-2011

ob3517
Default progress

Getting back to the original question, I think progress is made incrementally. This comes from experiencing myself progress during the past year and watching my children advance in competitive swimming.

I feel the advances are made by the daily practice sessions, not always in a straight line, but with a lot of two steps forward and one step backwards. What happens though is one day you become aware of how much progress you have made, either by seeing how fast you swam a given distance, how easy it was to swim a distance in a time that would have been a struggle previously or how few strokes it took to swim at a certain pace.

Competitive age group swimmers see this all the time, when they compete in a meet in an event they may not have swum in a long time and see a tremendous improvement in their time. Yes, some of it may be that they grew or better conditioning, but it is progress made over time with many practice sessions, not all of a sudden in an instant of realization of some previously hidden swimming secret.

When I first started masters swimming I was waiting for that secret that would allow me to swim fast, well it never came. Now, I see that by continually practicing using the principles, techniques, and drills of TI I continue to make slow but constant improvement! What is funny is the people who one year ago were faster than me are now far behind me wondering what happened, although I tell them all the time the principles I'm using to go faster and have referred them to TI, many are still waiting for that swim secret.
Old 10-30-2011

jenson1a

I agree with your first two sentences in your last paragraph. I have been spending a lot of time searching all kinds of posts and articles to reveal that elusive secret. Guess what? It simply boils down to this--persistence in pursuing basic principles.

Yeah it helps to read articles and look at videos, but I think you have to actually put the time in, use certain focus points, and don't try to do everything at once. In short, go slow.

Now that I have said this, it's time to go to the pool.\!