Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2011

rkadar
Default Anyone ever listen to music while training/practicing?

What are the pro's and con's?

If you do, which MP3 player do you use and do you like it.

Anyone here of this one from FINIS? No ear buds are required! It "utilizes bone-conduction technology to transmit high-fidelity sound underneath the water." Really? Could that work?

http://www.finisinc.com/s.nl/c.1144330/it.A/id.107/.f

I'm a big music lover and I've certainly found it adds value and intensity to running and biking. Why not when swimming?

Thanks!

Rob
Old 05-21-2011

aerogramma

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkadar View Post
I'm a big music lover and I've certainly found it adds value and intensity to running and biking. Why not when swimming?

Thanks!

Rob

because the sound of water is the most beautiful sound you can hear :)
Old 05-21-2011

westyswoods
Default Tune In or Out

You most likely will get wide and varied comments to your question? I for one can not listen to music and focus on stroke technique at the same time. To your question of which one to purchase and if bone conduction works. If your hearing is normal and you do not have any particular pitch deficiencies yes bone conduction is suppose to work. I have been told by those who use it. Due to a severe hearing loss it has taken me much time and many different MP3 players to find one which I feel is user friendly and works. It is manufactured by h20 audio. Brand is the interval 3G headphone system for iPod shuffle (3rd Gen). I use this solely as a TT and find two things very compatible with swimming. The first is how it fits to the goggle strap and the ease of findings buttons while not having to remove it. You don't even know it is there. The second being the ear buds are built in and the wires are short so there is no need to wrap or get tangled. The earbuds are the only ones I have found that actually stay in place and I attribute a large portion of this to how they come down the back of the head and to the ear. The downside is you need a 3rd generation Ipod shuffle.

They actually have recently added an upgrade to for I believe the 4th gen shuffle this is suppose to have a much higher quality sound capability if one gets the pro earbuds. My suggestion would be to e-mail their help line as I have found them very helpful on many fronts.

Good Luck and Happy Laps

Swim Silent and Be Well
Westy
Old 05-22-2011

ewa.swimmer
Default Swimp3

I love my swimp3! I use it almost every time I swim. It keeps me relaxed. If I lose focus and my stroke falls apart I can focus on the music, let my body relax a bit, and then my stroke comes together again. I guess most of the time I really don't listen to it. It is there as background noise instead of my breathing. It helps keep random thoughts from entering my head like "My muscle is getting tired." or "I wonder how many sharks see me but I don't see them."

Because it is bone conduction my ears still work. I can hear boat propellers, people yelling, chains on buoys, and dolphins.
Old 05-22-2011

naj

Although some might object, I use music in the pool and still manage to focus on my stroke technique and drills. The swimp3 is the best I have used and the bone conduction is the best option in my opinion. However, when I am doing long swims in ow or ow in general I do not bring it along. Too many things to look out for such as other swimmers, moored boats (no joke I ran into one once), sea lions, and other various beings in the aquatic world. Just my two cents.