Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Outside the Box: Open Water Swimming
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2011

robedon
Default 2.4 mile swim-how to prepare

Hello,

there is an event coming up that is 2.4 miles, in salt water, with the current. how many yards should I be doing in my training to prepare for this?

how much "gain" do you think I will get from the current and salt water compared to a pool?

thanks
Old 04-26-2011

ewa.swimmer
Default Depends

A lot depends on what you do now and how comfortable you are in open ocean. When I'm getting ready for the Waikiki Roughwater in Sept. I usually do 1.2 mi 3 times a week, the full ironman course once a week, and pool work twice a week.
Old 04-27-2011

naj
Default Couple of questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by robedon View Post
Hello,

there is an event coming up that is 2.4 miles, in salt water, with the current. how many yards should I be doing in my training to prepare for this?

how much "gain" do you think I will get from the current and salt water compared to a pool?

thanks
Is this a cold or warm water swim?

Are you going with the current or cross current?

As far as the salt water issue, your legs and hips will ride higher than in the pool if you Ti technique is solid. If you are being assisted by the current, you don't need to train extremely hard about 80% of the total distance should do it. However, if you get a push one way and then have to go cross current (i.e. swimming with the current pushing you either right or left), I would advise getting in some ow time with a cross-current emphasis.

Also, are you using a wetsuit for this swim?
Old 04-29-2011

robedon

thanks for the replies. the 80% formula is what I was looking for. So I should be swimming around 2 miles to prepare for this. Wet suit is optional. it is with the current, the director said it should be a good current this year. a past participant told me they have tossed a bucket in at the start and the bucket finished in 1.5 hrs. that being said, I would guess if I need to rest, I will still make my way toward the finish.
Old 03-24-2016

gary p

Quote:
Originally Posted by robedon View Post
a past participant told me they have tossed a bucket in at the start and the bucket finished in 1.5 hrs.
LOL, sounds like my kind of race!