Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2011

cynthiam

US$67/month to belong to my YMCA in downtown San Francisco (includes pool, cardio, weights, basketball court, many classes). A 15m activity pool & a 25m 5-lane lap pool. My location has a hot tub/spa on the pool deck, and in the locker rooms there's a small dry sauna & a small steam room. $15 day-use pass for entire facility for non-members.

There's a better deal at a Y closer to my home. It has a 25yd saline pool w/very nice water, but various factors make it unattractive to me.

Local community pools cost $5 per use (less if you buy multiple tickets at once), and some limit your time to 1.5 hours. Weird, inconvenient schedule, though my local pool is nice, clean, and has a skylight that is open in fair weather.

Free to swim in the bay, though I pay $435/year to belong to a swimming & boating club -- the sauna, club swims, & other members make it totally worth it. Once trained, I'll be able to use the boats, too. Non-members can use it certain days of the week for $6.50 per day.
Old 03-06-2011

drone

In Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, the city-wide yearly pool pass is approx $265, which accesses several pools with varied lap swim schedules = good value. They also have single use rates of approx. $4. Also university, YMCA, and private clubs/rec centres have pools available - optional at extra cost.

Last edited by drone : 03-06-2011 at 05:06 AM.
Old 03-06-2011

Mike from NS

Thanks very much for your replies.

My reason for the question is that the Canada Games Centre (http://www.halifax.ca/CanadaGamesCentre/home/) in Halifax opens to the public this weekend. Their fees are high in comparison to the replies you have offered. The management won't (as yet) separate aquatics from other available activities at the facility. So to solely swim the "drop in" rate is $10 + taxes or a senior (60 years of age) has the rate of $7.

At the pool (now permanently closed) which this facility replaces the rates were $4.00/ visit or $3/ visit for a senior (age 55). Multiple visit cards could drop the rate to about $2.10. So the new place, for me, is about 5.48 times this rate, since suddenly I loose the benefits of a senior status. I'm young again !!! But then we have a track, weight room, and cycling equipment if so desired --- and if you have that much time to invest in exercise.
It is a lovely facility but a bit pricey and there are many unhappy / disappointed swimmers in this area now.

Mike
Old 03-07-2011

CoachKris

just get a job down there and they will let you use it for free ;)
Old 03-07-2011

Mike from NS

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKris View Post
just get a job down there and they will let you use it for free ;)

Yes that might work Kris ! They might need someone for speed trials down their water slides ;) ~~ I knew my downhill skiing would come in handy. However I'm not looking for free ... I'm looking for reasonable!

It is interesting seeing the enticement campaigns of the other facilities in the area who are in direct competition with the new place. Dalhousie University's "Dalplex" for example is offering a 7 day cost free trail of what they have to offer. Wiil probably give that a try when the ski hill closes. Dalplex is a nice facility with 50M pool. I'm in no rush shopping mode!
Old 03-07-2011

Richardsk

In Wales swimming for the over sixties is free. The reasoning is that it will have a good effect on the health of the ancient population (at least on those who swim). The same half dozen or so turn up regularly.
Old 03-08-2011

dobarton

I pay $30 US monthly to belong to Gold's gym... All the exercise equipment I could want, near 24 hour access and a 25 m pool... Oh, and sometimes, the scenery is very worth watching.
Old 03-08-2011

sterlingtimes

£55 for a month's membership here in Coventry at a hotel pool.

It can be difficult contending with very slow swimmers using the one and only swimmers' lane.

I know that all pool users have rights but it's amazing what people do here. We have talkers (who do little swimming), we have walkers (who do no swimming), we have side by side walkers, and we have parents who launch their children upon you from shoulder height.

In Los Christianos in Tenerife there is a superb heated outdoor 50 metre municipal pool that costs Euro 1.50 a swim. That is just total luxury where everyone swims.