Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2009

naj
Default Relay Channel Swimming

Hey Folks,

For the last several weeks an idea has been going around in my tiny brain and now it is with me nearly 24/7. So without further adieu I'm going to throw it out there.

I am seriously wanting to connect with four or five other TI swimmers, men or women, young or old who want to look seriously into doing a Channel swim together (any channel we choose it doesn't matter too me).

I'm only playing around with the idea in my mind but I just want to put feelers out to see if anyone else is interested. All have to be committed to swimming the TI way if we would all invest in doing this and who knows maybe we could do something awesome together as a team and thus promote the TI way to swim to a larger audience!

Feel free to contact me at my personal email if you want to discuss this more.

Keep swimming!

Naji

najiali@riseup.net
Old 04-10-2009
Head Coach

terry has disabled reputation
Default TI Channel Relay

Naj
Great idea. Slots with Channel pilots for this year are mostly booked already, but a relay in 2010 is still an option. I'm doing a Channel Relay with three friends the week of Sept 10, as a prelude to an intended solo attempt, probably around the same time next year. It would be cool to have a "TI Channel Festival" that week, with perhaps several Channel Relays composed of TI swimmers. How many would be interested?

May your laps be as happy as mine.

My TI Story
Old 04-10-2009

AWP

I've gotta be part of that!
Old 04-10-2009

Rhoda

When were you thinking of doing this?
I've just read a novel called Sage Island (Samantha Warwick) about a (fictional) young swimmer who attempts the Wrigley's Ocean Marathon in 1927, across the Catalina Channel. Apparently it can be even tougher than the English Channel, although possibly it has less shipping traffic.
Looking through the records section of Penny Dean's open water book, I notice that no-one has attempted the Juan De Fuca strait since 1956. I wonder why?
Old 04-10-2009

naj

Wow this is great! I was hoping folks would be interested. I'd be committed to 2010 for sure and have already begun shedding my wetsuit to climitize myself to the cold even more. Like i said, just email me and lets begin coming out with how we want to proceed.
Old 04-10-2009
Head Coach

terry has disabled reputation

Early Sept 2010. I'll email the Channel Pilots Assoc and see how many pilots we can line up. It would be great to have several relays going at once.

May your laps be as happy as mine.

My TI Story
Old 04-10-2009

naj

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry View Post
Early Sept 2010. I'll email the Channel Pilots Assoc and see how many pilots we can line up. It would be great to have several relays going at once.
YAHOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Let's do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-11-2009

AWP

I hate to be the first one to ask this but what would be a ballpark investment for such a venture? Reality just set in : (
Old 04-11-2009

RobertL
Default TI Channel Relay

I would be interested in joining the relay. However, I am on the east coast and since I have never done something like this, I don't know if that is a problem. Obviously, it would be difficult to train together.
Old 04-11-2009

naj

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertL View Post
I would be interested in joining the relay. However, I am on the east coast and since I have never done something like this, I don't know if that is a problem. Obviously, it would be difficult to train together.
Robert you make a good point about training together. However, I've spoken with folks from the South End Rowing Club here in San Francisco who've done it with others who don't live here and didn't train with each other and they said it worked just fine.

Terry emailed me yesterday and thought I was thinking about the English Channel and although I did give that some strong thought, I figured we should try for a North American Crossing first and then see (if this relay team jells) to try for the English Channel in 2011.

I know I must sound nuts to a lot of folks on this forum -- and your probably right -- but this seems doable and to do it the TI way and really test out our skills...boy I think that could be the best swimming and TI Swimming advertisement we could get out there!

Maybe we could also get our refresher courses for a discount after it too hehe. What'd ya say Terry?