Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2017

scribe3
Default Head low

Hello,

So, when I am swimming freestyle, I always trying to brace my abs and glutes, and retract my shoulder blades before the pull. however, my hips and legs will not float to the top unless my chin is touching my chest at a 45 degree. I think.

On youtube, I see some people looking at a 50 or 60 degree, and they don't see to have the same problem I do. I was wondering if any of you guy's have the same issue, or is it, I just need to do more abs exercises or balance exercises
Old 12-05-2017
Mushroomfloat

You are burying your head and tucking your chin to get your legs up and balance,

I did this for a while it is a last resort that people resort to lo get level

a few things:

Are you a breath holder? if you hold your breath your lungs act like baloons and raise your upper torso which leads to you forcing your head down to couneract
you must exhale continiously when your face is submerged
this will balance you out

you are spearing too high at the surface i also did this for ages (it can be done when you get more advanced)
spearing to high will drive your lower half down
try spearing to 4 oclock or lower than your lungs

the point to press on is your breast bone not your face / head

look slightly forward and correct all the above points and report back
Old 12-05-2017
Mushroomfloat

Practice lying on top of the water face down and see what happens to your hips / legs when you hold a lungfull of air

then do the same whilst exhaling it all out and see what happens to your hips

then do spear switches (under switch) and try different spearing heights

the best point for relaxed swimming is exactly 400mm below the surface
Old 12-05-2017

Danny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushroomfloat View Post
Practice lying on top of the water face down and see what happens to your hips / legs when you hold a lungfull of air

then do the same whilst exhaling it all out and see what happens to your hips

then do spear switches (under switch) and try different spearing heights

the best point for relaxed swimming is exactly 400mm below the surface
If I did my conversion correctly, 400 mm is a little more than 1.3 feet! Or is this the spear depth, not the body depth?

Last edited by Danny : 12-05-2017 at 03:33 PM.
Old 12-05-2017
Mushroomfloat

Yes spear point not bidy depth lol

that would be a little hard to pull off
Old 12-05-2017

Tom Pamperin

You might want to try the following balance drill:

Kneel in shallow water and push your head face-first into the water, looking straight down. Hold it there for a couple of seconds.

Now relax all the muscles in your neck/shoulders that you are using to hold your face underwater. You should feel your head "bounce" back up to the surface (you are still looking straight down).

This should give you a new awareness of how your head is completely supported by the water when its in the proper head position. I've often seen students improve their balance DRAMATICALLY just by doing this a few times, from sinking legs to floating legs. It's usually the first big breakthrough for my students.

Another thought:

When I want my legs to float higher, I feel like it's my chest that needs to be deeper--as if swimming with an exaggerated proud-chest swagger posture. It's all in the chest, not the head.
Old 12-06-2017

daveblt

[quote=Tom Pamperin;64056]

When I want my legs to float higher, I feel like it's my chest that needs to be deeper--as if swimming with an exaggerated proud-chest swagger posture. It's all in the chest, not the head.[/QUOTE

Leaning on the chest helps as does keeping the head down ,keeping the hand below the elbow ect. BUT, this in itself does not automatically keep the legs up. You also need to find balance through a certain amount of tension through your core and lower back to help keep the legs up .

Dave
Old 12-06-2017

WFEGb

Hello Dave,

Quote:
...You also need to find balance through a certain amount of tension through your core and lower back to help keep the legs up ....
Yes, you're right if legs are well aligned to spine. But I think that's the second step. For most of my students with sinking legs the main problem is the first TI-pyramid-step: Balance. I'd like to add relaxed balance. Most possible relaxed spearing arm (fingertips lowest, then elbow, then shoulder). Weightless relaxed but stable head and neck (find it as Tom wrote). Rag-doll-like relaxed recovery arm (or Hand deep in the pocket while skating). As relaxed as possible shoulders for contact with your stable core.

If your legs are still sinking, I'm nearly sure you're missing some relaxation in front. (I've never met a real sinker. Females seem to have an easier time in this than males...)

Try it with patience and awareness.

Best regards,
Werner
Old 12-06-2017

bx

The game-changer for me in finally keeping my legs up was:
1. engaged glutes
2. relaxed knees

And my current focus is:
3. relaxed (floppy) ankles

This seems to make even a tiny toe-flick 2bk even more effective in keeping legs up.
Old 12-06-2017
ti97

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFEGb View Post
For most of my students with sinking legs the main problem is the first TI-pyramid-step: Balance. I'd like to add relaxed balance.

If your legs are still sinking, I'm nearly sure you're missing some relaxation in front.

Best regards,
Werner
Werner, Back in the early days, Terry said in his workshop that Balance is "sinking evenly"