Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2010

millertime
Default can breast/butterfly help freestyle?

I've been developing my freestyle and backstroke together, based on the premise that they'll complement each other and hasten the learning process. Of course, these strokes are related because they're long axis strokes.

I'm wondering whether learning the short-axis strokes (breast/butterfly) can contribute anything to freestyle, of if I should gain proficiency in my current two before attempting these others. I don't have any particular interest in breast/butterfly in their own right, but would add them if they would have any synergy with freestyle.

Last edited by millertime : 11-01-2010 at 03:18 AM.
Old 11-01-2010
TI Coach

CoachEricDeSanto

I believe it does. The dolphin motion of the short axis strokes makes balance much easier to get really well.
Old 11-01-2010

sasquatch

I didn't work on breast/butterfly much in the past, but have recently added IM sets to my usual back/free practice. I'm still a horrible butterflier, but determined to improve it. I've also been helping a few friends who want to improve their freestyle for use in triathlon. They struggled with some of the balance drills at first, until we spent a little time on breast-stroke. I had them really accentuate the glide phase of breast-stroke, essentially doing superman glide with breast-stroke breathing. Using their core muscles to get back into glide position (instead of pushing off the pool wall or floor) has helped them to improve balance and comfort level in a horizontal position. They have been steadily improving in freestyle as well.

You'll still be working your core stabilizer muscles when you practice short axis strokes, well worth your time in my opinion.

Last edited by sasquatch : 11-01-2010 at 10:04 PM.