Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2010

DesertDog
Default snorkel vs. Stripe

I tried the black line approach & it helped a little, but not enough.

The nice thing about the finis snorkel is that it has a tube that goes straight down your face. The tube & the black line together give instant feedback as to whether you are keeping your neck straight or not.
Old 12-20-2010

splashingpat
Default I love Lou, but Desert Dog...is onto something here ...i believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
I tried the black line approach & it helped a little, but not enough.

The nice thing about the finis snorkel is that it has a tube that goes straight down your face. The tube & the black line together give instant feedback as to whether you are keeping your neck straight or not.

if flippers is a useful tool, I believe the finis snorkel could be a useful tool!
hey if shoes helps someone....why not a snorkel as well!

Thanks Desert Dog...
I had to bump this post up....
because I help those who help me!
(conditional love ain't too bad either) - hello Grant!
Old 12-20-2010

DesertDog
Default Black Line and Finis Snorkel

For me looking at the black line wasn't enough, but combine the Finis snorkel and the black line and the results were spectacular. The snorkel tube goes straight up your face and between your eyes. By trying to keep the tube in line with black stripe, I got instant feedback about what I was doing wrong. Within 10 laps I knew what I was doing wrong and how to fix it. Now I practice with the snorkel for 10 laps every session and try to keep my neck relaxed and minimize the movement between the snorkel and the line.
Old 12-20-2010

DesertDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by splashingpat View Post
another swimming pool toy that could help one
Oh Santa Claus!
a swimmer can ask for many toys!
The snorkel is also great for zen switches. With the snorkel I can make my zen switch as slow as I want. Previously, I would rush the zen switch because I would start to lose balance. I would tell myself that I would need to go fast to breathe, but it was really a balance problem. The snorkel taught me the importance of WIDE tracks. When you can make the zen switch really slow and wide, and just move your arm millimeter by millimeter without sinking the results are amazing. The water feels like a big bed that is supporting my body. My confidence soared and my swimming improved. The Finis snorkel, my knowledge of TI and this forum has improved my swimming immensely.
Old 12-20-2010

sasquatch
Default hold the line

I've worked with a few friends on swimming straight. Haven't tried the center mount snorkel, but I do have them use the line. Not just as a guide for eye and head position, but also as a focal point for arms and legs. I instruct them to keep their arms outside the line during spearing and "pulling" and to keep the legs directly above it even while kicking. This tends to promote good upper body/hip rotation and balance (wide hand entry) and also helps them learn how keep their legs in line with the body to limit over kicking.
Old 12-20-2010

DesertDog
Default Snorkel for Zen Switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
The snorkel is also great for zen switches. With the snorkel I can make my zen switch as slow as I want. Previously, I would rush the zen switch because I would start to lose balance. I would tell myself that I would need to go fast to breathe, but it was really a balance problem. The snorkel taught me the importance of WIDE tracks. When you can make the zen switch really slow and wide, and just move your arm millimeter by millimeter without sinking the results are amazing. The water feels like a big bed that is supporting my body. My confidence soared and my swimming improved. The Finis snorkel, my knowledge of TI and this forum has improved my swimming immensely.
I forgot to mention that the feedback from the snorkel that zen switches are being done incorrectly is the snorkel filling up with water. Initially, I blamed the snorkel (it couldn't be my fault) reasoning that it was just too short. For some reason I kept trying a 25 zen switch with snorkel at every practice, and then one day it just clicked. Not sure what it was -- probably something somebody mentioned on this forum, but all of a sudden I could do it and it felt right.

I had been doing zen switches for years and I thought I was doing them correctly, but I wasn't. I had mistaken the rushing as endurance problem, not a balance problem. The snorkel eliminated the need to go to skating position to breathe and so I could concentrate on the zen switch and take as much time as wanted.