Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2016

Doca
Default Some tips please from my video.

I don't get much chance to to get a video of myself swimming but got an opportunity whilst on holiday. I took the opportunity to swim is my wetsuit as i'm doing a half IM on Sunday.

Please have a look at the video and make any recommendations how I can progress in the best way. I guess there is a lot to go at, I can see that I cross over quite a lot when I breath, more so on the left side where I am least comfortable. I was surprised about how much splashing there is too.

The video is here:
https://youtu.be/HSX0FUf2r-s

You can also see my progress thread that I've updated now & then.
http://www.totalimmersion.net/forum/...highlight=mile

Thanks.
Old 05-25-2016

Tom Pamperin

Doca,

lots of nice stuff going on--balance looks pretty good (maybe the wetsuit is helping there), as does the 2BK timing and lack of knee bend. Looks like about :49 for 50m.

I'm not a coach, but here's what I see. You've already mentioned crossing over the center with your arms. I see that pretty strongly on both sides, even when you're not breathing, so that's definitely something to focus on.

I think you could benefit from working to make your recovery more elbow-led. Try to feel like there's a string tied to your elbow that pulls the elbow forward while the forearm stays relaxed. I like to have my elbow moving forward (pulling the arm with it) while the hand is still in the water;that will help with the little bit of a forceful/splashy exit you have right now when you start recovery. Make sure your palm faces up (toward the ceiling).

Another part of what will help your recovery (and eliminate the crossing over) is to make sure it's on wide tracks. Wide tracks are not just for the hand entry, but also throughout the recovery. For dryland rehearsal, keep one hand on your thigh. Then let your thumb keep touching your thigh while you swing the elbow forward and away from your body. Only at that point (elbow away, thumb touching thigh) should you start to pull on that elbow string to move the arm forward. The elbow will swing out a bit, and then your upper arm will set the width of the "wide tracks" as you continue to pull the elbow forward. Those wide tracks stretch all the way down the lane in front of you, so don't let your hand jump off the track and cross the center--keep them right on the track moving forward from the shoulder.

Keeping the palm up during recovery is important, and will help you make the elbow lead farther. I like to imagine a vertical glass wall just in front of my head, and I try to keep the elbow leading long enough that the elbow, not your hand, breaks the glass. If you do it right, your recovery shoulder should just barely clear the water. I'd also practice with some "paint a wide line" swimming (drag hands on wide tracks on recovery).

Good luck with your 1/2 IM!
Old 05-25-2016

Tom Pamperin

One more thought:

You might want to concentrate some attention on a good mail slot entry with your hands, then arms following. At times in the video, your arm is entering rather flat, so that rather than slipping the entire arm through the slot opened by your fingers, your elbow and flat forearm is actually hitting the water all at once--resulting in a lot of drag and splash.

This flat arm entry is especially noticeable with your right arm. Some ultra-slow tune-up repeats where you focus all your attention to mail slot, then following with the arm through the same hole, might be useful to play around with.
Old 05-25-2016

andyinnorway

Brett,

Your stroke gets better as the video progresses, the third length looks much better than the first.

Do some length's where you position your midline over the edge of a dark blue tile line. I use the nose as my mid marker.

Be really precise about holding the line, or working out why you're not holding the line.

Then see if you can hold the line during a breathe. 90% of Sprint pace repeated over a number of single lengths can help force focus on this.

good luck.
Old 05-25-2016
Coach

CoachBobM

You've already gotten some good advice, but I'll add a few points:

You have a narrow, streamlined body shape and a good 2-beat kick.

Although your balance is pretty good, it could be a tad better if your entry went a tiny bit lower.

You definitely need to lead more with your elbows. The swingswitch drill should help with that, and it should help to have a friend assist you in bringing your elbows forward on that drill.

You're correct about not entering along your railroad tracks when you're breathing. The "draw a line" rehearsal should help with that (stand, bend forward at the waist, extend one arm forward, and then rehearse drawing a line in the water parallel to your body, dragging your hand behind your elbow). Rehearse on one side, then swim, focusing on drawing that same line when you're recovering on that side, then repeat the rehearsal and focal point on the other side.

You also need to work more on a mailslot entry. It should help to rehearse just the entry (as you did with the "draw a line" rehearsal). Again, rehearse on one side and then focus on doing the same entry on that side when you swim, then repeat on the other side.

Bob
Old 05-26-2016

Doca

Thank for the reply guys, plenty to work on. I would have sworn that I had an elbow led recovery- until I saw the video )o(.