Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2016
kirill

Default Evaluation for rag doll + mail slot recovery

Dear TI swimmers! Greetings from Brussels, Belgium and happy 2016 to all of you!
This is my first post on this forum.

I started practicing TI end of 2015 and while progressing thru "Ultra-efficient freestyle" workbook I'd like to ask your opinion on my recovery during the whole stroke.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2H6Rx_lRv8

I would very much appreciate your comments.

One of my concerns is my feeling of "mail slot" does not match the video (i.e. it does not look like a mail slot.) It looks from video I am reaching too far before dropping arm into water ?

Thank you,
Kirill.
Old 01-17-2016

Zenturtle

welcome in the world of overthinkers ,-)

I think your recovery looks very relaxed and symmetric. Looks really like a marionette arm if thats what you aiming for.
The entry is a little flat, but thats very easy to change. letting it in a bit earlier and its like Shinjis.
I wouldnt worry too much about it and first look at your underwaterfootage if you need a deeper spear.
Old 01-18-2016
Coach

CoachBobM

Your stroke looks very relaxed and balanced!

In addition to what Zenturtle mentioned, I'd also point out that your left arm seems to be spearing a little to the left of your railroad track, though your right arm seems to be going in on track.

Bob
Old 01-20-2016
Head Coach

terry has disabled reputation

Kirill
I concur with Zenturtle and Coach Bob. Overall relaxation is great. Rag Doll Arm looks especially good. Left arm seems to enter a bit wide.
Your stroke is ready for prime time.
Would be interesting to see how your stroke looks at brisker pace. Try filming two lengths on which you swim the fastest pace you can--without noise or splash.

How did you manage to get an entire peaceful pool to yourself in a bustling city like Brussels?

May your laps be as happy as mine.

My TI Story
Old 01-20-2016

Zenturtle

Your arm recovery is fine, your kick timing isnt.
I should fix that in the first place.
Like so many, your right leg is kicking too much and your left leg too little.
And focus on keeping everyting aligned when you take a breath.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0crsvjlNq0

sorry for giving unrequested advice ....
Old 01-20-2016

truwani

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry View Post

How did you manage to get an entire peaceful pool to yourself in a bustling city like Brussels?

indeed: I work in Brussels and there are hardly any pools, let alone quiet pools like this one. Curious where you found it
Old 01-20-2016
kirill

First, let me thank all of you for the inspiring comments.

Great to confirm i am on the "right" track so far:) I will keep improving the left one (thanks @CoachBobM) and hope to spend less cognitive efforts on "marionette" arm as I practice.
Mail slot is to be improved as @Zenturtle proposed.

@Zenturtle: Thank you very much for spotting kick asymmetry and for "unrequested advice" ! I will work on it and post videos in the future.

@Terry Very interesting challenge - brisker pace without splash - and a good test to my focus. As I am new to the forum: should I attach the video to this thread or create a new one ?
Quote:
I go to this pool at 9.30pm after putting kids to sleep; apparently it is the latest open pool in Brussels, or may be whole Belgium. I am usually the last swimmer there, often kicked out by the staff that close it at 11pm.

@Truwani Thank you for your message, I am very happy to discover TI swimmers in Belgium! Here is the link to the club. I only go to the pool there.
I'd love to connect with you if you don't mind. Could you please find me kiruwka[at]gmail.com
Old 01-20-2016

truwani

Hi Kirill

I have sent you a mail with my details.

It would indeed be a great idea that someone creates TI Belgium :-)
Old 01-21-2016

tomoy

Hey! It looks like someone who has done their TI homework! Very nice. Looks like bilateral breathing too. I see a little over-rotation when breathing. You can watch when your recovering elbow reaches straight up over your body. That will push you down, instead of help rotate you to level. I suspect you might be splaying your legs to kick yourself back into position after breathing. If you can control the rotation then your kick can be used to drive your leading-falling arm forward, which will be a better use of the energy.

Don't see any issue with the mail slot. There are numerous ways to spear cleanly. Yours might be a little thumb-angled-down, but that's not uncommon, just a little wrist turned inward. If you're not getting bubbles I wouldn't worry about it. If you are, think about rotating the thumb up and pinky down - but not at the expense of tension.

You have a lot of leeway to speed it up before I would be concerned about your stroke being too noisy. In other words, it looks plenty good to crank up the stroke rate. In order to go fast now, I suspect it might take a lot of arm effort. With a quicker tempo, you can use less arm energy per stroke to keep the same speed.

Great work. Beautiful pool. I might need to get the name of it. Can the public access? The company I work for just got bought by a Belgian firm and I love finding new pools... and hotels... and restaurants :-)
Old 01-22-2016
kirill

@Tomoy, awesome observations, thank you!

Improving my breathing is the next important step for me and I will pay attention to opening my elbow wider and avoid over-rotation. I guess I'd need to stretch my neck a bit to rotate head with greater ease. I'd also revise your comment on better use of kick power.

Which company are you working for ? Do you live in Brussels ? Let's get in touch and I'll share everything I know about Belgium/Brussels that could be useful for you. You can send me private message or better poke at kiruwka[at]gmail[dot]com