Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Outside the Box: Open Water Swimming
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2014

danm
Default Bosphorus 2015

Since there are already two of us here on the TI forums considering this event (Talvi and I) I thought it would be nice to have a space to discuss anything related to it, from the swim itself, to traveling there, where to eat in Istanbul, etc.
is there anyone else considering it? Any advice from more experienced swimmers who already did it? How to train? How to prepare the navigation?
Old 01-12-2015

danm

registration starts today... hopefully.
Old 01-12-2015

danm

oops...

and a pretty (useless) film about the event

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVMl...ature=youtu.be
Old 01-12-2015

danm

and now the site is completely down with a 404 error.
has anyone managed to register? I haven't.
until it gets back here's the story of someone who did it last year
http://www.lifeasaninvestment.com/bo...swimming-race/

Last edited by danm : 01-12-2015 at 06:12 PM.
Old 01-13-2015

danm

the site is back again taking registrations. I managed to register so now there's no way back!
Old 08-03-2015

danm

...seeing the humongous amount of interest raised by this thread, I thought I should get back and report how it went...

it went well. I finished in about 1 hour 26 minutes; that's in the top 15% of the swimmers that finished.

There were some waves. I got a little seasick, nothing serious. There was a head wind which generated the waves; because of the headwind the favorable current did not help as much as in previous years; the winner finished in 1:01 compared to about 41-42 mins in previous years. Most people who participated before, including the winner, complained that the course was much more difficult this year. Being my first time, I can't compare, but I didn't find it difficult at all.

I find the complex discussions about how to find the best current futile for a participant like myself, aiming solely to finishing the race while having a good time. I did worry a lot about it before the event, but I found that if you just follow the instructions you should be perfectly fine.

The instructions are: head towards the foot of the bridge until you hit colder water, then track towards the middle of the bridge, then towards the middle of the power cables, then the middle of the other bridge until you have the flags on Galata Island on your right. The middle is where the cables are at the lowest... Then head straight for the finish (which is marked by two baloons, impossible to miss). All this came quite naturally, I didn't need to "navigate", or change direction much to stay on this track.

This is a great event to participate in. All you need is the ability to swim for two hours and some nerve (there were a lot of people with very poor technique, some were swimming breaststroke, etc). If you can swim for two hours and can follow these simple instructions there's no way you will not finish.

I think I'll go again next year.

any questions, just ask...