Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Links and References
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2014

jenson1a

"If you want to sprint short distances TI isn't for you". Unless I'm misinterpreting it?........

fwiw I agree with you. He says if a masters coach says to swim 10 x 25s, you aren't going to win the race. He also says something like perpetual motion freestyle is for swimming longer distances without getting tired.

Sort of like the old Aesop fable The Tortoise and the Hare? Well maybe not exactly that

Sherry
Old 09-17-2014

Talvi

Isn't it a bit odd then that this forum often seems to get a bit bogged down in arguments about whether TI is for racing or not? Seems so to me anyway but maybe that's because I feel some sort of loyalty to TI :D I've felt like defending TI on the point but until now hadn't got the ducks in a row. Now I have though I'm left wondering why TI ever bothered to rise to the bait. "Tortoise and Hare" (even if Steve West is a bloody fast tortoise!!) is just another example of the clear blue water that distinguishes TI from the others, and something that in my opinion should be being celebrated. It is almost as if TI is embarrassed by the things that distinguish it.

"The water is your friend.....you don't have to fight with water, just share the same spirit as the water, and it will help you move."
~ Aleksandr Popov
Old 09-17-2014

jafaremraf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talvi View Post
Isn't it a bit odd then that this forum often seems to get a bit bogged down in arguments about whether TI is for racing or not? Seems so to me anyway but maybe that's because I feel some sort of loyalty to TI :D I've felt like defending TI on the point but until now hadn't got the ducks in a row. Now I have though I'm left wondering why TI ever bothered to rise to the bait. "Tortoise and Hare" (even if Steve West is a bloody fast tortoise!!) is just another example of the clear blue water that distinguishes TI from the others, and something that in my opinion should be being celebrated. It is almost as if TI is embarrassed by the things that distinguish it.
I feel like this is a discussion that needs conducting round the table in a pub with a drink in front of you :D There is almost too much to say in the context of a forum post. Anyhow, inevitably there are different reasons why people end up following TI and I suspect for some it will be racing......because Terry himself races, albeit long distances and at a well rehearsed pace, as opposed to a sprinter doing 50m. And TI appears to suit those long distance swims, or triathlons, where energy conservation is important. But what in TI then can those 50m sprinters benefit from if speed over short distances is desired? I guess balance and streamlining are going to offer great benefits for them too if it means less drag for them in the water. Perhaps at its core, TI is for that first group; longer distance swimmers. And for those who, like me, want to swim freestyle later in life but find conventional methods too damn hard! I started off just wanting to swim effortlessly for long periods, and I'm getting there (slowly) but now I've found it's opened up new possibilities for me and I'm looking to gain some speed. TI say get the technique right and speed will come and they do promote the use of a tempo trainer to support this. What they don't do, and this does distinguish them from many coaches, is promote kicking harder and faster, nor do training with pull buoys and kick boards, as a way to increase speed. There's no doubt in my mind where my preference is..... TI! And whilst racing isn't my number 1 priority, developing my technique to find my optimum speed over whatever distance I'm aiming to swim for, is fairly high on the list!

Now, where is that drink? :D

Last edited by jafaremraf : 09-17-2014 at 05:39 PM.