Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Favorite Practices and Sets
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2012

ScottMT
Default How to keep track of practices and results?

I'm just starting out with a Tempo trainer and getting more focussed on interval training and trying to develop speed and fitness after a couple of years of just drilling and relaxed swimming. I find myself in need of some organization and recordkeeping tools as I forget everything between the locker room and the pool and vice versa. What do folks use for this? Clipboard and grease pencil for swimming and then transfer to a journal?
Old 01-11-2012

jofo

Hi Scott!

I´m on the same page as you are. Looking forward to read some tip further on!
Old 01-11-2012

AWP

Scott,

The underwater slate would work, especially for jotting down marked times quickly. Laminating your favorite practice sets should be safe to bring poolside resting on a kickboard or two (a good use for those things).
In time you'll be so focused your mind will be a steel trap and you may not need anything. I do however have a 'file' of TI literature and practices in my swim bag and brief myself before hitting the pool.
In most cases I can recall most of my practice down to the length and repeat, in most cases. I jot down my experience at the kitchen table afterwards during my meal or enjoying a cold libation.
Old 01-11-2012

dshen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottMT View Post
I'm just starting out with a Tempo trainer and getting more focussed on interval training and trying to develop speed and fitness after a couple of years of just drilling and relaxed swimming. I find myself in need of some organization and recordkeeping tools as I forget everything between the locker room and the pool and vice versa. What do folks use for this? Clipboard and grease pencil for swimming and then transfer to a journal?
as you may have tried, regular paper disintegrates in the presence of water, and pens and markers will run or stop writing on wet surfaces. i have tried grease pencils on a piece of plastic but that also didn't work well when wet. but i did find this on amazon:

Rite in the Rain field notebook

Tactical black clicker pen

these work great sitting by the pool. the pen and paper both work great when wet. i write down stats as i hit the edge of the pool.

i also use a Finis swimsense to record a ton of other metrics, which auto uploads to a website, and you can download that to csv file and put more hand written stats against their current metrics.
Old 01-11-2012

andyinnorway

I try to write simple sets I can remember and do not need to look up during a pool visit. e.g. hold a certain SPL at increasing speeds or swim 50's off a fixed time and with different focal points.

If I have a technique thought then I limit it to one per session. tomorrow is less rotation after comparing a video of me with ninjaswimmer I can see that I am rotating so much that I have to grunt to start my rotation back the other way which must be causing a load of energy loss.

good luck with the waterproof book though, sounds great.
Old 01-11-2012

coachdinah

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshen View Post
as you may have tried, regular paper disintegrates in the presence of water, and pens and markers will run or stop writing on wet surfaces. i have tried grease pencils on a piece of plastic but that also didn't work well when wet. but i did find this on amazon:

Rite in the Rain field notebook

Tactical black clicker pen

these work great sitting by the pool. the pen and paper both work great when wet. i write down stats as i hit the edge of the pool.

i also use a Finis swimsense to record a ton of other metrics, which auto uploads to a website, and you can download that to csv file and put more hand written stats against their current metrics.
Rite in the Rain notebook is great to have poolside. Swimmers who bring them to lessons get detailed notes on the spot. Great for recording sets and SCs at your own practice.

I prefer a regular pencil to the pen.

Dinah