Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2018
AB77

Default Video Help Please

Hi,

I am hoping to get some advice on my freestyle, please.

View My Video

About me:
* 55 years old
* 6 feet 5 ins tall, weight 80kg, slim build
* Self taught front crawl over the last two and a half years.
* Target is to swim 1500 metres (60 lengths of 25m pool) in under 30 minutes. Been stuck on 31 mins for last few months.

Having seen the video of my self, my thoughts are:
* Sometimes my arms moving forward out of the water swing to wide (more often the right arm).
* When I breathe it looks like I lift my head and upper body too much then push back down again after a breath is taken.
* Stroke rate is quite slow - my stroke count at a steady pace for 1500 metres is around 20/21 in 30 secs.

Additional points:
* Probably due to my height and build, I find floating on my front extremely difficult unless I skull with my hands.
* I find breathing in front crawl quite difficult, I am persevering with bi-lateral, but do get very out of breath.
* Doing a length of kicking holding a kick board is incredibly tiring and ridiculously slow. As a result I am trying to minimise my kick when swimming longer distances although I realise this is probably hiding a problem.

Any advice would be very greatly appreciated!

Thanks.
Old 03-19-2018
AB77

Default Video Update

In case of problems viewing the video, here is another version:

Video version 2
Old 03-22-2018

daveblt

Your head position looks a little high not just when breathing but also when you are not breathing . Your stroke rate does not look slow to me. Maybe your hand could be just a bit more patient in front .Try for a little smoother entry,otherwise ,looks good .

Dave
Old 03-23-2018
Bada Bing

Hi There,
I'm not an expert or trainer, but you look to have a similar issue to me, which I am working on.
That is we have a lot of tension in the neck and shoulders which is lifting the front end up.
I have been swimming with the focal points of relaxing them both for two weeks now and it is better but still not quite in the muscle memory. But I can feel the air on my trunks more regularly now, which hopefully means I am more horizontal.
Also, relaxed forearm in the recovery is something else I try and focus on. I think we might be the same there as well.
You will probably get better advice than mine on this forum.

Hope this helps.

Andy
Old 03-23-2018

WFEGb

Hello AB77,

seems you're enjoying your swimming and you are confident and fearless with your stroke. 31min for 1500m might be even a goal for others. Your SR around 1.0s is not slow; and your goal about sharing a minute is definitely not as far away as you might suspect.

So, you're in a TI-forum and I'll try to give some suggestions from TI's point of view.

First I'd suggest to get a TI-DVD or a tight look into Terry's more actual Effortless Endurance or at least Terry's free lessons to become familiar with TI's way of work and thinking.

Looking at your Video (second one) I'm sure you'll get a lot from going through Terry's course...

Your head seems to be tensed with looking up all the way. Torpedo and SG-drills will sharpen your awareness to get an over all relaxed neck and water-supported head. Your back shows the tendency to bananashape (couldn't decide precisely by this video), you'll realize that yourself, when working with SG and Torpedo.

Your stroke seems to me somewhat as if hips and shoulders are disconnected. All your movements should be initiated by your core (first time it's easier to think as initiated by your hips) and shoulders and hips should be connected as if your body is swimming like a log. To get this you'll need to become more balanced, relieving your muscles from helping to get balance back. All kind of skate drills will be helpful to show you just that. (And much more...)

You mentioned your wide recovery. It is indeed. Think it's not a question of wideness , much more relaxation. Your recovery should be led by your elbow all the way, your lower arm should be relaxed and work more as pendulum than a stick (actual formed together with upper and lower arm) at that time. With stable core, right amount of rotation and relaxed head/neck the drills "Elbow Swing" and "Draw a Wide Line" will be the right cure...

I can't see how your kick is exactly, but sometimes it looks as so called (Stuart? Dave?) "Zombie-Kick" (kicking with your right leg while left hip/shoulder are going up to surface). With that you're breaking your body's log and you're fighting more against yourself than finding a balanced, streamlined way forward... Try to hold your legs in streamline (don't feel any water on any part) and think about kicking later...

For drills and finding their integration into your stroke, I'd suggest two further things:

Work with a TT to help you slow down to at least 1.20s-1.30s. If you want to test your improvement in balance got up to slower than 1.60s...

Take the time and start (about 15min) with one or two TI-drills with lasersharp FPs (one at time, two for your pooltime).

After the drills swim your well felt distances but(!!!) break them into small pieces. With a short rest between. Start with 25m, try to take (first times) one(!) of your FPs from the drills into your whole stroke. How does it feel? Same as in the drills? If you can hold and feel the FP for 25m go on, try with 50m... and so on... The time of the rests should be fixed by your "brain-resets" What went well? What should I try to improve the next lap? How should it feel in whole stroke? Then the next 1, 2, ... laps.

Hold your bilateral breathing. It's never too early to start with and hold it. (If we have to break our stroke symmetry for breathing, the breaks should be equally distributed to left and right... Yes, gills would be more helpful...) It's not necessary to breath every three. One lap right, next left,... is okay. (Never go on with drills or FP-work if you start to go winded...)

Hope you'll find some things helpful in this little bit long post.

Enjoy your work in swimming and your start with TI!

Best regards,
Werner