Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > O2 in H20: Breathing Skills
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2014

chidperi
Default Laser Lead Rotation Breathing difficulty

Hi
I am a complete newbie to Freestyle swimming and I've been self coaching myself to Perpetual Motion Freestyle to pretty good results and I do see improvement every time I am at the pool. However in Lesson 3 Breathe Easier I am starting to see a few issues which I could use some help.

Here are the things I get and I can see real results as soon as I focus on it.
- Head stays torpedo like and pointed down until shoulders are almost at stacked position.
- Keeping my laser pointing forward all the way through and let the head relax as soon as I am on my back.

And this is where I have real problems:
- When my head comes up for breath invariably there is still water in my nose and mouth.

The one thing I need to try out at my next pool session is to breath out of my nose while my head comes out of the water. However, Terry says keep the mouth open even under water so I am not sure how to get rid of the water when my head comes out without spitting it out which isn't natural breathing. Can I get some guidance as to what the timing of the exhale should be as my head rotates and whether it comes from the nose or the mouth?
Old 09-19-2014

CoachHeikoStribl

Hi Chidperi,

listen up.... net time you rotate around for a breath....
1. Close the mouth.
2. Blow bubbles through th nose, increase the "blowing" as you role until your face is dry.
3. Wait for a milli-second until you are in sweet spot.
4. take your breath....

regards,
Coach Heiko
Old 09-20-2014

daveblt

I've done this many times even with my mouth open a little . As long as you are exhaling ever so slightly through your mouth no water will get in . The same with your nose . The trick is to make sure you are not inhaling with your face still under the water which can be done if you panic or your timing is off .

Dave
Old 04-07-2015

sclim

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveblt View Post
I've done this many times even with my mouth open a little . As long as you are exhaling ever so slightly through your mouth no water will get in . The same with your nose . The trick is to make sure you are not inhaling with your face still under the water which can be done if you panic or your timing is off .

Dave
LOL. Sorry -- I've actually done this myself, in panic, but it can be seen as funny when you think of it in an unguarded moment. And it's funny when the fault is analysed like that, as though it would be a huge mystery what you did wrong!

Rather like seeing someone slip on the banana peel, I guess. Not funny to the person at the time!
Old 05-02-2015

nat23

I'm going to start lesson 3 of the Perpetual Motion program. However I cannot float on my back for more than 5-10 secs.

Keeping my chin up and ears in the water help me float on my back for a little bit.

I forsee an issue performing the laser lead rotation of lesson 3 with my inability to float on my back. However I have noticed in the dvd that only one shoulder should be in the water and the other outside.

Any suggestions on the issue or am I over thinking ?