Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2012

ashby

I have a swimsense and love it, not so much during drill sets but during long continuous swims to record the distance. I love swimming in open water and wonder if the GPS of the Garmin would be the best option as it would measure distance there?
Old 01-05-2012

andyinnorway

Our local map site in Norway (yellow pages) has a really accurate point to point function, very handy for measuring the precise distance of a lake or similar.
Old 01-05-2012

dshen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashby View Post
I have a swimsense and love it, not so much during drill sets but during long continuous swims to record the distance. I love swimming in open water and wonder if the GPS of the Garmin would be the best option as it would measure distance there?
The GPS of the Garmin 910XT is SUPPOSEDLY able to track your path while swimming. i would love it if someone got their hands on one to try.

if you want to do that now, we have done it a lot with a Garmin 305 watch, stuck in a ziploc bag, and then sticking that under our swim caps, on the back of the head (not top since the back of your head is ultimately what faces up towards the sky). It can be flaky, but i have found it works consistently for me during, for example, an Alcatraz crossing in SF bay.

but if you want swim metrics + GPS trakcing, you may need to wait for the 910XT to become available first...