Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2012

Hweirath1
Default Body Roll - Finding your edge

Hi Terry and TI Coaches. Perhaps you can help me with the current challenge I have about fine tuning my freestyle (and my husband's). After now 8 months of drilling and doing ladders to imprint the technique, I find that when my body rolls on my edge to the extent that Terry's does (I'd say 45 degrees is what his video looks like), my legs (both together) kick out to the side a bit causing HUGE drag (1:40 pace per 100yds) and I can feel this drag!! I have recently tried sticking my chest out like a proud bird, eyes look forward a bit, and reducing the roll to just a slight roll and my pace drastically improves (1:28 pace per 100yds). I see many elite distance swimmers videos on youtube that have varying degrees of body roll. Can someone comment on the amount of roll and if I should be rolling to the extent that Terry does and if so, how can I do that while maintaining balance?? (Please don't say drill more!! I swim / drill about 8k per week and I don't think I can get into the pool more than this). Any suggestions are much appreciated. Also, if you tell me a much slighter roll is fine, then validation of what I am currently doing is fine by me!! Thanks!!

Last edited by Hweirath1 : 05-16-2012 at 06:02 PM.
Old 05-16-2012

tomoy

Sorry, not Terry or a coach. Just spend a lot of time here. I think it's one thing to roll in order to get the sensation of not swimming flat in the context of drills, and to get the shoulder out of the water. But it's another to swim where at no point do you sit in any one position, you always dynamically move from one to the next.

Your instinct to roll less is fine, and supported by many here as a way to minimize stalling/gliding. Hard numbers are never right for everyone, but my guess is you could find a place around 30˚ for your shoulders and keep your legs at 10-15˚ that, assuming the rest of your stroke is balanced, would optimize your efficiency.
Old 05-16-2012

borate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hweirath1 View Post
Can someone comment on the amount of roll and if I should be rolling to the extent that Terry does and if so, how can I do that while maintaining balance?
"Ladyfish" had good thoughts on this several days ago. Check her post...
http://www.totalimmersion.net/forum/...side#post28065
Old 05-17-2012

foxjohng
Default Rolling and breathing

I take the point that you should roll "just enough" (whatever that is, exactly) in order to get propulsion from the core.

But what about breathing? You also have to roll enough in order to get your mouth at least partly out of the water. The two degrees of roll (propulsion and breathing) won't necessarily be the same.
Old 05-17-2012

janedoemuc
Default Body Roll - Finding your edge

I would not even focus on the "roll", but on the lengthening of your whole body. Then your perfect rotation comes IMO automatically.

Breathing and propulsion are connected, because an improper breathing will break your propulsion. So if you "rotate" differently with breathing and non-breathing you will most probably have different levels of propulsion, i.e. additional breaking and acceleration moments in your movement cycles.

Only my 2 cents. Cheers. janedoemuc
Old 05-17-2012

andyinnorway

Quote:
Originally Posted by janedoemuc View Post
I would not even focus on the "roll", but on the lengthening of your whole body. Then your perfect rotation comes IMO automatically.

Breathing and propulsion are connected, because an improper breathing will break your propulsion. So if you "rotate" differently with breathing and non-breathing you will most probably have different levels of propulsion, i.e. additional breaking and acceleration moments in your movement cycles.

Only my 2 cents. Cheers. janedoemuc
Agree 100% with this. I'll post this link again as I think she describes the difference between rotation and reach really well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-u0akR23yo