Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > O2 in H20: Breathing Skills
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2018
Bada Bing

Default Psychology of length barriers.

I thought I might post this hopefully to support those who have struggled as I have with learning freestyle.

I have noticed recently on the forums that Cathy has been getting frustrated with swimming and she has a better style than I do.

Last night I swam, non stop, 16 lengths (no biggy to many of you), previous longest swim was 8 lengths last week. A 100% increase either side of the weekend. But....

Was this as tough as the increase from 25m to 50m or 50m to 75m?? No way. I thought I was going to be stuck at 25m for ever. My chest would tighten, my brain would absolutely display refusal behaviour.

I hope Cathy sticks at it, because in my opinion, she is so close to breaking the biggest barrier. All the dominoes should tumble after that.

I'm not a coach or a very good swimmer, but if I can help with any advice or visualisations of the early part of my journey, please let me know.

Andy
Old 05-01-2018

IngeA

That's exactly what I think.

It's like a child learning to read. First I puzzles all the letters together and then, suddenly it can read fluently without effort.

Best regards
Inge
Old 05-01-2018
whoiscathy

Default I still need to get my first breath

That's why I was frustrated (assuming you meant me). If I could get one *** breath, soon I'd be up to a kilometer, I have zero doubts. I just can't seem to get the first one!

I honestly don't think it's psychology. It's something technical in my case.

I do believe that going from 50m to 400m is all in the head, though!
Old 05-01-2018

WFEGb

Hello Cathy,

Quote:
I honestly don't think it's psychology. It's something technical in my case.
Might be the psychology how to deal with this very special technic :-)

What just came into my mind; did you ever try what most of FS-learners do? Simply getting a breathe in any way. Included all things extremely bad from TI's point of view... stretching and bending the neck, lean on the front-arm, jumping with your upper body and head out of the water... Sure you'll find all these things in the strokes of course-swimmers who "learned" breathing in four weeks. And sure you're always trying to get your breathe in ideal and very best TI-form... Have in mind, even Terry noticed a tiny, never noticed before, head-lifting in his stroke on one side... when he chosed the videos for his Mastery 2.0.

You're still here. Very good!

Best regards,
Werner
Old 05-01-2018
whoiscathy

I am here but I must say I'm just as *** off as I was last week. Frustrated is an understatement. I'm a perfectionist and a structural engineer. Possibly the worst combo ever!! Everything.Must.Be.Perfect...

Say, I happen to get a breath (imaginary situation, hasn't happened yet, but happened with other things many times) but simultaneously, say, I drop the elbow? I may even stop mid-lane...

Johnny would then ask, why did you stop? Resume stroking. Cathy: Í÷÷÷ because I noticed I was doing stop-and-go again before I went into recovery//my stroke timing fell apart//my pinky finger on my third hand was in the wrong angle. Johnny: No problem, continue! Cathy: Coach, no can do (brainf*k)...

This is also the answer to your question, Werner, if I've tried to take a wonky breath. Yes and no... I did try but it's hard, probably even harder for me to do than to nail a clip-worthy TI breath (eventually)...

PS. I only posted that because there was a new post in my thread asking me what's up. I hope I didn't scare her away... I posted that in the heat of the moment. I just blew up. I couldn't contain my frustration anymore. Actually what I'd have needed was probably a hug, rather than more advice -- it was that bad.

@Bada Bing:
If you have any visualization to get my first ever breath, please shoot!

One day I came home from work with 100+ printed pages from this forum... I printed every breathing thread with 20+ comments and/or interesting title/opening comment... I've found many gems already but I'm still not breathing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFEGb View Post
...getting a breathe in any way. Included all things extremely bad from TI's point of view... stretching and bending the neck, lean on the front-arm, jumping with your upper body and head out of the water... Sure you'll find all these things in the strokes of course-swimmers who "learned" breathing in four weeks. And sure you're always trying to get your breathe in ideal and very best TI-form...
You're still here. Very good!

Best regards,
Werner
Old 05-01-2018

WFEGb

Hello Cathy,

Quote:
Actually what I'd have needed was probably a hug, rather than more advice -- it was that bad.
Although a little bit late... hug you.... (my wife allowed...)

... and now let's go to the pool for half an hour with one single FP from the way to breathing... which one would you like?

Best regards,
Werner

PS: Most times it's easier to learn new things... but sometimes going to from the bad learned to the right things just is an other stony but possible way. Hmm... but whom do I tell this? Think you'll still know it much better...
Old 05-01-2018
whoiscathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFEGb View Post
Hello Cathy,
one single FP... which one would you like?
Core... core activation. Still random. Some days snappy hips, other times, I can barely drag myself through the water and core feels "spongy". More and more often snappy, though...

PS. Thanks for the hug :)
Old 05-02-2018
Bada Bing

Hi Cathy,

Seemingly you have read everything on the forums so I don't know if this is new to you or you may see it in a different light. This is Coach Stuart giving advice to Joel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZ6TB9gqc70&t=113s

When I start sucking water, I tend to go back to what Stuart says here about breathing with your spearing arm and it's momentum. So as the left arm spears with momentum turn your head away from it towards to breathe. Couple this with a popeye/fish hook mouth and you will be in air every time.

I usually breathe to my left for a length and then to my right for the next length. This means that I only need popeye to one side at a time. Due to co-ordination issues, I have been known to make the mouth shape the wrong way when swimming bilaterally. Which brings me neatly on to..........

......there was a video, (I can't track it down at the moment) of Terry lowering himself into the pool with his mouth open, until the water level was above his chin and the bottom of his mouth had water in it. He then practiced breathing normally through his mouth over the water in his mouth. This I think helps with "water touching mouth" shock.

On days when it's not clicking for me, I can end up swimming many lengths with water in my mouth.

I hope this helps. It's all I can do as my wife won't let me hug you.

Andy
Old 05-02-2018
Bada Bing

Correction

"....turn your head away from it towards THE RIGHT to breathe......"
Old 05-02-2018
whoiscathy

Default Probleye

Yes, that's a nice video, thanks for the reminder -- will watch again. Some progress today.

I can do Popeye only to my right while I'm trying to breathe to the left first :P. Even that only because Johnny showed me some scary scar ;) on his hand, to which I reacted with a Popeye. I couldn't do it before :)) Coordination issues here, too!