Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2017
Copperbeech

Default Push back rather than pull up?

Until recently when I would reach my arm forward past my head I would extend my arm so it went quite deep but then pulling it back, at some point the hand would need to come UP to the surface of the water. This should result in propulsion down rather than forward...right?

So instead I tried, still extending my arm as far as possible out past my head, but not nearly as deep and so when pulling back the palm is for more of the time perpendicular to the bottom of the pool and so when pushing water out of the way propulsion should be more directed forward...which is what one wants.

Does this make sense? IS this a good change?
Old 10-28-2017

Mike from NS

Have a look at this video by Shinji. Hope this might help and answer your question.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=JP&...kEwawPSw&hl=ja

Mike
Old 10-28-2017

Danny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from NS View Post
Have a look at this video by Shinji. Hope this might help and answer your question.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=JP&...kEwawPSw&hl=ja

Mike
I found this video a little confusing. He starts out by talking about speeding up the recovery, but I believe his comments are directed at how to spear forward with the other arm. Is this the correct interpretation?
Old 10-30-2017
Coach

CoachBobM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperbeech View Post
Until recently when I would reach my arm forward past my head I would extend my arm so it went quite deep but then pulling it back, at some point the hand would need to come UP to the surface of the water. This should result in propulsion down rather than forward...right?

So instead I tried, still extending my arm as far as possible out past my head, but not nearly as deep and so when pulling back the palm is for more of the time perpendicular to the bottom of the pool and so when pushing water out of the way propulsion should be more directed forward...which is what one wants.

Does this make sense? IS this a good change?
Your elbow should be bending as you begin your catch, as though you were reaching over the hood of a Volkswagen beetle toward the headlight. Also, instead of thinking about pushing water back, I'd suggest thinking about anchoring your arm in the water and pushing your body past it.

If you do this, you should feel that your hand and forearm are remaining closer to your body when you are stroking. You are correct that your stroking arm won't have to travel as far upward to get to the surface if you do this.

And there is also the advantage that you will be holding onto water that is closer to your body and has picked up some forward momentum from your body's motion through the water. It's the same basic principle that causes most rockets carrying satellites into orbit to be launched toward the east rather than in some other direction: Since Earth's surface is rotating from west to east, the rocket's engine doesn't have to do quite as much work accelerating it to orbital speed.

Bob