Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2015

notatall
Default How to make a perfect two beat kick

In two beat kick, when should I kick? And is it the rule that one leg goes up and the other go down at the same time?
Old 08-04-2015

borate

Quote:
Originally Posted by notatall View Post
In two beat kick, when should I kick? And is it the rule that one leg goes up and the other go down at the same time?
Kick down with the leg that's on the same side as the pulling hand. Put another way, kick down as the opposite hand enters for the spear and then stretches to full extension.

An illustration... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hC8ZZZhabp4
Old 08-04-2015

novaswimmer

You'll have to play around a bit with timing.

In this video, Matt Hudson uses the leg kick to 'assist' the rotation, just as the spearing arm moves into place underwater.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ezb-mnVHYE

Anyway, it doesn't hurt to look at a lot of different examples!
Old 08-22-2015

Zenturtle

Badig has good stuff to say about the 2BK
http://badig.com/2015/07/the-timing-of-the-2-beat-kick/

http://badig.com/2009/06/the-two-beat-kick/

http://badig.com/2009/02/improving-your-flutter-kick/

Last edited by Zenturtle : 08-22-2015 at 09:49 PM.
Old 08-23-2015
coach

CoachStuartMcDougal

Quote:
Originally Posted by notatall View Post
Hi Notatal:

The kick is down (not up) and is tied with rotation connecting whole body movement. Select this link for details: 2 Beat Kick and Effective Propulsion

Stuart
MindBodyAndSWIM
Old 08-23-2015

Mike from NS

Hi Stuart,

That video shows it all .....

But, there was no mention of feeling the power from the leg's kick cross through the core to the opposite arm's extension. I recall a discussion about this a year or so ago. Suzanne was a key player in that discussion I think.

As I watch this video it seems to me that the kick follows, ever-so-slightly, the opposite arm's spear, rather than the kick instigating the roll and the drive of the arm to extension (and stretch) from the power of the kick. Is this correct or not?

I'm finally to the point of being able to complete 100 M non stop, when I try and 50M whenever I think about it. Not a pretty 100 but getting there .... used to be that I was very happy just to make the3 wall after 25M. Managed a 150 the other day.

Mike
Old 08-24-2015
coach

CoachStuartMcDougal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from NS View Post
Hi Stuart,

That video shows it all .....

But, there was no mention of feeling the power from the leg's kick cross through the core to the opposite arm's extension. I recall a discussion about this a year or so ago. Suzanne was a key player in that discussion I think.

As I watch this video it seems to me that the kick follows, ever-so-slightly, the opposite arm's spear, rather than the kick instigating the roll and the drive of the arm to extension (and stretch) from the power of the kick. Is this correct or not?

I'm finally to the point of being able to complete 100 M non stop, when I try and 50M whenever I think about it. Not a pretty 100 but getting there .... used to be that I was very happy just to make the3 wall after 25M. Managed a 150 the other day.

Mike
Hi Mike,

Thanks and yes, this was only about timing. Created at students' request (on my iPhone!) for post workshop review. The hip starts and kick finishes rotation - kicking from the glutes. I prefer to describe the action as inside out, whole body movement, kick connected to rotation; not outside in, timing spearing arm with the kick.

Great news about 100's. Stick with that. I rarely have my my masters squad go past 100 before refocus, i.e 10x50, 20x100, 10 alternating 50 & 100 all at changing tempos, pyramids pushing failure point, and sustainable or negative split sets.. If a swimmer is racing a 1/2 or full IM, a time trial (or two) 4x300 neg split SPL on a sustainable tempo, i.e. 1st 300 17 spl, 2nd 300 16 spl, 3rd and 4th 300 15 spl, each 300 same *sustainable* tempo.

Keep up the good work!

Stuart
MindBodyAndSWIM
Old 08-24-2015

Mike from NS

Thanks for the reply and explanation Stuart. Also thanks for the words of encouragement. I tend not to be as driven a swimmer as most here are. I "play" and "mindfully study and practice" different aspects and drills that I come upon; all the while with the efforts to improve balance, being better streamlined and endurance. Recall the discussion a couple of years back when I asked for the secret to "continuance". To be able to go and go ... length after length without stopping at the wall was my desire. I was amazed at the longevity that thread experienced. Charles and many others offered many suggestions. Charles said to go slowly, others said to just do it ! And some said to hold out a reward for reaching a goal. Today I bested my 8 lengths of yesterday with 10 continuous lengths. Not a big deal for most but, sadly for me it is. I still had energy to keep going but have to save something for another time. My goal now it to do this with focus on smoothing things out and working on balance and on being better streamlined. The outdoor pool will be closing in a week so my swimming frequency will suffer once more; but I have learned a number of things to take back to the other pools.

All the best,
Mike
Old 08-24-2015

Grant

Congrats Mike, you have stayed tough and are being rewarded for your work/play. The water is treating us west coast Canucks kindly as well. Swim on.
Old 08-24-2015

Mike from NS

Hi Grant,

Thanks !

You have stuck with it for sure. Congratulations to you as well. As far as play ... we learn the most through play time when major concerns can be distracted by the "fun stuff". It was only the early years in my learning to swim process that thoughts of "this isn't for me" crept into thought. But I chased them away.... being a stubborn type has kept me going. No desire or ambition to compete or swim really fast. The real draw was in the first lines of the first TI video I watched ... where Terry says .... "do you want to swim well and enjoy the experience" ... or something like this.
I was hooked at that moment.

Opps got to get going ... another lane swim is about to begin at the "summer" pool.

Take care,

Mike