Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > O2 in H20: Breathing Skills
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2015

RXL
Default Breathing issue resolution

I thought I would post this to see if it would help anyone else. I as a beginner have been suffering from being excessively winded from my swimming having to have frequent rest breaks in open water. My breathing pattern has always been three strokes then breathe. I then read a post called 'Open water breathing patterns' which suggested different patterns of breathing. I tried the three-two three pattern on my last open water outing and managed to complete 1500 metres non-stop and I thought I had a fitness issue!
Old 08-08-2015

novaswimmer

I am a beginner swimmer. I have found for me that my first two laps I can do every three, but eventually I have to settle in to breathing every two strokes. Then as I get 'in a groove' I can sometimes do every three once per lap or so.

Or sometimes I settle into a breathing pattern of 3-2-3-2...And that works most of the time.

Occasionally I will be off in balance and get a mouthful of water, and that gets me a bit panicky, so then I have to go back to breathing every 2 for a while. Until I settle back down!
Old 08-09-2015

descending

Quote:
Originally Posted by RXL View Post
I thought I would post this to see if it would help anyone else. I as a beginner have been suffering from being excessively winded from my swimming having to have frequent rest breaks in open water. My breathing pattern has always been three strokes then breathe. I then read a post called 'Open water breathing patterns' which suggested different patterns of breathing. I tried the three-two three pattern on my last open water outing and managed to complete 1500 metres non-stop and I thought I had a fitness issue!
I have always been a fan of breathing whenever I felt like it just like when I'm riding my bike to the pool. Oxygen is tasty, it's free and out bodies respond well to it so take all you like! I do appreciate that breathing can be a real tough thing for new swimmers and slow them down a lot, but once you can breathe w/o disrupting your stroke gobble it up!
Old 08-10-2015

RXL

I still mess up my breathing on occasion but I can now think about it and settle down without having to stop. I made sure I learnt bi-lateral breathing from the start to make it easier for me in the future. When I questioned someone about breathing issues all I was told was keep going it will eventually come. But it did not come quick enough for me hence the change to the newer pattern, only thing is I do not know why I did not think of doing it sooner!
Old 08-10-2015

Mike from NS

Rightly or wrongly I have felt for a while now that once I could "fix" or "capture " the breathing aspect of swimming ... that then I would be on my way -- finally. Thanks to 'Open water breathing patterns' which RXL references, I think a capture is closer at hand than ever before. In the past I have tried to learn bi-lateral breathing with the turn for air after 3 strokes or maybe after two. It works "sort of". But I get lazy and lose focus. However, the 3,2,3,2 pattern is working wonders. This is just after two swims. After I really get used to following a pattern I expect and hope that my sloppy days may fade into the past. What the new pattern has done for me is; help me focus more easily, keeps me feeling I'm not starving for air, and therefore keeps me more relaxed. I have been able to very comfortable complete a length in 17 strokes without trying to rush anything. These are all break-through moments for me. I haven't been as anxious for the next swim day (so to practice this further) for years. Not since first trying the nod & swim drill .... which I feel is the best TI drill in the books - in relation to breathing have I looked forward to the next swim as I do now. The plan is to have this pattern become second nature and blend it with paying better attention to balance and smooth complete strokes.

Glad I saw your posts RXL ... this may be my magic bullet or the key to Pandora's box which frees me from my breathing problems.

Mike
Old 08-11-2015

novaswimmer

This is going to sound stupid, but when I switched from regular swim trunks to jammers I was able to swim MUCH better. With trunks I felt (and still do) like I have umbrellas dragging behind me. LOL! That certainly added to the lack of progress down the lane, and subsequently, getting more easily winded.

It is natural to be able to breathe more easily on one side than the other, but keep practicing on both sides. It has taken me about 18 months to finally get more comfortable with bilateral breathing. Then you will be able to breathe when you need it. Breathing patterns are fine, but sometimes you must alter them. Maybe you are sharing a lane and someone swims by splashing you in the face just as you are breathing.

So yes, practice, practice. And keep aware of how high (or low) your hips are in the water. Higher hips make it easier to breathe.