Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2017

Tom Pamperin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bx View Post
In general in swimming, it seems to me that the core is engaged, but peripheral joints are looser.
This seems like an excellent nutshell explanation of good swimming--everything else I know seems to follow from this principle, though I never put it into words this way myself.
Old 12-08-2017

daveblt

[quote=bx;64117]
Another example is the spearing arm - I spear forwards and feel the stretch in my lat, but deliberately avoid locking-out my elbow and having a rigid arm.

------ Ah yes, I also mentioned this in a previous thread that I spear with the feeling that I am reaching with my shoulder and not my hand so the arm can be without tension as I spear as it is just short of full locked out extension. Also in the book Total Immersion it was mentioned that when the arm spears into the water that the arm ( 'reaches and I mean reaches like like stretching for something beyond your fingertips' ). With this in mind I swam many years with a too stiff arm causing me to breath a little too late and more of a catch up stroke . Good advice but now I'm trying not to reach with my hand with tension on it but more loose .

It's all very personal, and my goodness, it took me a long time to find balance. There are some swimmers for whom spearing deep and hanging the head are simply not enough.

------ As it was for me . As many years as I have been swimming TI and know this stuff I always felt as if my legs had a mind of their own with a little tension on them. Then last year after I saw that Shaules video my balance and leg problems got a lot better . I guess I was a little too loose at the core which could not control my legs too well.

PS
Agree with daveblt - engaging the glutes has a very good effect of controlling the legs and greatly reducing unwanted wiggles. This is mentioned somewhere in TI materials, but it's worth emphasising it,

------ But it wasn't mentioned in earlier TI books and material as far as I can remember so I did not catch on to this until last year or so . But then again maybe it's my body type too . Some people though just seem to float on the surface without even trying .

Dave

Last edited by daveblt : 12-08-2017 at 03:25 AM.
Old 12-08-2017

scribe3
Default Head

I remember when I started swimming my instructors gave me some dryland exercises to do, to this day, when I am attempting to learn something new in the water I try to find a dryland exercise that is similar to what I am trying to learn

The reverse hypotension exercise on the ghb machine is great for teaching you how to brace the core and squeeze glute to lift legs up
Old 12-09-2017

bx

Cheers, Tom :)

Dave - yes, I read your description of reaching with the shoulder, and realised I'd come to a similar conclusion!

Some swimmers do indeed seem to skim along effortlessly. There are a few tall beanpoles in my pool like that. But I can't feel disgruntled about the ability of a random stranger! It's so cool to go from struggling with freestyle (even as a teenager in the 1980's) to a middle-aged bloke who can very comfortably swim that stroke for 30-40 mins (I get itchy to practise some butterfly).

It's so sad that Terry's passed on. TI provides a North Star to aim for, even if it doesn't always tell you to activate this muscle or relax that muscle. And that has been frustrating. But, it's a particular style, and a good one. I'm rambling!
Old 12-10-2017
whoiscathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bx View Post
Cheers, Tom :)

... even if it doesn't always tell you to activate this muscle or relax that muscle. And that has been frustrating....
I've been bugging my coach with these types of questions a lot! What muscle does this or does that, I'm largely unaware of them but I can "ping" them, just need to know which one to ping, please tell.

This is exactly what I neeeed so bad.

LOL LOL LOL
Old 12-11-2017

scribe3

I always remember to engage my glute's and core, and also after watching this video I try to retract my scapular

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmybSx2qVQI