Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2011

Rajan
Default Need Help in Sidebody balance Drill

Dear Friends,

This is my first query regarding swimming. I am from india.

I have been struggling with side body balance drill as there is no coach in Delhi who could teach me all these drills. Internet have been the only source to get information about the latest drills. i practice all these drills own my own.

In side body balance drill, Keeping arm and hand parallel to water, i had not been able to do this drill. But somewhere in article of total immersion, i read you will have to keep the your arm 4 to 5 inches below the water. When I followed this advice, i was able to do this drill.

But still one problem i am facing with this drill. When I rotate my body to my side, even less rotation, my head also moves. I am not able to keep my head still, looking downward. When I try to look downward, my body balance get disturbed, i am not able to kick effectively.

Can somebody help me out. Looking forward to your response.

Regards
Rajan
Old 07-02-2011

CoachRosita
Default Need Help In Side Body Balance Drill

Rajan,

Welcome to TI.

During coach training we did a drill on land that may help you.

Stand in front of a mirror, with your body at about a forty five degree angle to the mirror (i.e. your shoulder somewhat toward the mirror). Look yourself in the eyes in the mirror. Take three steps toward the mirror constantly looking at your own eyes in the mirror. When you do this you should naturally present the other shoulder to the mirror with each step. This is basically what your body is doing in the water when you swim.

Now comes the tricky part. immediately after the second step but before (more during) the third step turn your head (i.e. to breath) and return it to looking at yourself in the mirror as you complete the third step.

This is easier to demonstrate than to explain verbally. Hope this helps.

Coach Rosita
Old 07-02-2011

Rajan

Thanks for your response. I tried to understand what you wrote, but could not get it. I will show your response to one of my friends, perhaps he can help me to understand it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachRosita View Post
Rajan,

Welcome to TI.

During coach training we did a drill on land that may help you.

Stand in front of a mirror, with your body at about a forty five degree angle to the mirror (i.e. your shoulder somewhat toward the mirror). Look yourself in the eyes in the mirror. Take three steps toward the mirror constantly looking at your own eyes in the mirror. When you do this you should naturally present the other shoulder to the mirror with each step. This is basically what your body is doing in the water when you swim.

Now comes the tricky part. immediately after the second step but before (more during) the third step turn your head (i.e. to breath) and return it to looking at yourself in the mirror as you complete the third step.

This is easier to demonstrate than to explain verbally. Hope this helps.

Coach Rosita