Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Outside the Box: Open Water Swimming
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-26-2018
Oyoguneko

Default First open water challenge

Hi fellow Ti swimmer,

This is my first post actually.
Iím French woman 49 years old and Iím learning Ti freestyle since 2 years. I found the method of Ti very effective and even do a short course in new Paltz with Alice ❤️.
I did my first open water swimming challenge in France in marseille. The place is called le dťfi Monte Cristo at least 4000 swimmers registered for 5k, 2.5k and 1k.
I did train in a very quiet sea where the place I live and didnít have the habits of the waves. My first error was to place myself on the first line because I got submerged by all the swimmers thinking I can manage to swim in the middle of everybodyís !
No I couldnít, I had to switch to breaststroke was unable to continue my initial freestyle. I panic and hyperventilated for 10 seconds, feeling the others swimmers next to me. We were like a bag of worms in the water !!!! Not very glamorous image i know.....
And then I finally stop panic and get slowly the habits to be inside a group of swimmers. Breath normally. I swam freestyle a little bit but not very much as I felt a beginning of a cramp on my left leg. So I think I could have swim faster if I didnít have this problem.
I would say that the proximity of the others was my main problem.
Anyway I enjoy the moment I swam without wetsuit because I want to be , just me and the water, no fins, no mono palm. Mono palm sounds very nice, I think you could imagine being a mermaid.
I wonder if you have ever try mono palm and did it improve your freestyle ?I have different feelings during this open water. Fear, excitement, panic, stop overthinking, breath as slowly as I can and move forward, feeling cold right after the race and finally very excited !!
I finish up my challenge with 41 mn which is correct for me for the first time.
I think about Terry and his commitment to give the best for swimmers with his kaizen mindset. I will be always greatful to him to have discover his method.
Next time I want to try to swim in a lake. What about your experience in an open water competition ? What do you appreciate and not appreciate ?