Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > How To Swim A Mile
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2017
dk2943

Default Frequency of breaths

I am 67 and swim for exercise. I swim a mile 4 or 5 times a week. I am always looking to improve. Tis forum has been a great help.
I swim in an outdoor pool. My watch recently broke so I just swim the number of laps without knowing how fast
I used to take a breath on every other stroke, always on the left side. Recently, I have been trying to take a breath every other stroke. It feels like this is an improvement. Is this my imagination? Should I revert to a breath every stroke or continue working on every other stroke?
Thanks in advance
Old 09-25-2017

sclim

Quote:
Originally Posted by dk2943 View Post
I am 67 and swim for exercise. I swim a mile 4 or 5 times a week. I am always looking to improve. Tis forum has been a great help.
I swim in an outdoor pool. My watch recently broke so I just swim the number of laps without knowing how fast
I used to take a breath on every other stroke, always on the left side. Recently, I have been trying to take a breath every other stroke. It feels like this is an improvement. Is this my imagination? Should I revert to a breath every stroke or continue working on every other stroke?
Thanks in advance
Not clear from your description what your recent breathing change is. Used to be every other stroke (i.e. one breath in two strokes, breathing only on the left side), and now you have added in one more breath on the other stroke, i.e. the right side, so now you are breathing on every single stroke, left and right?

Last edited by sclim : 09-25-2017 at 04:04 PM.
Old 09-26-2017
dk2943

Sorry for the confusion. I used to turn my head to the left to breathe every time I brought the right arm forward. Now, I am turning my head to breathe every other time I bring the right arm forward.
Old 09-26-2017

IngeA

Then you are now breathing every fourth stroke. I do this also. I don't swim fast so breathing every fourth stroke is sufficient and more relaxed. Also I have more time to exhale.
Perhaps it's the same for you: if you don't exhale properly when breathing every other stroke, you get less fresh air then when breathing every fourth stroke.

Best regards Inge
Old 10-02-2017

WFEGb

Hello dk2943,

no matter what your breathing rhythm is, every 2, every 3, every 4, every n... it's never too early to learn effortless breathing on both sides...

Best regards,
Werner
Old 10-06-2017
Coach

CoachTeresa
Smile

Breathing every 4 breaths sounds like it is working for your pace. The caution is breathing every 4 strokes only on your left side. This typically causes an imbalance in your stroke. You should try breathing when you left arm is out and from your right shoulder. It will feel very strange at first but definitely a great improvement project.

If you need to be convinced, listen to Terry's recents podcast on bilateral breathing.
http://www.totalimmersion.net/blog/p...ral-breathing/
Old 10-16-2017
dk2943

Default Breathing

I want to thank you for your comments.
First of all, by changing my breathing to every forth stoke, I realized that I was focusing most on my stroke, rather than my breathing. This has helped me reduce the number of strokes per lap and my overall time.
I have tried breathing on both sides. It really interferes with my rhythm, but that will pass. My problem is that when I breath on my right side, I seem to momentarily lose my forward movement and start to sink. I immediately recover, but I know this is not the way is supposed to be. Cannot figure out why, so I do not know how to fix