Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Swim Your Way to Health
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2009

davidprice

Hi Ron!

Thanks for sharing your exercises with me. The ball around the back sounds unique, as I prefer free wieight activity to machines.

My therapist gave me a new exercise where I hold a towel with my right hand behind my back then gently extend with my left arm to the ceiling. It moves well to a point and then I get a jab of pain. On the the left I have much more flexibility and no pain at all.

Overall things are much better now and I am planning on concentrating on rehab conditioning over the winter. I'll do spinning, and elipticle running in replace of swimming. I'll also be busy rehabilitating my career as I do student teaching in the spring.

The Alcatraz swim sounds wonderful. I need to get out that way some time to see family and would love to see that part of the coast.
Best Always,

Dave
Old 11-22-2016
smithmga

Default hello ron, just read your post from 2009.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVL View Post
Seven years ago I took up swimming because my knees are shot. I`m a 57 year old male who has been swimming 3 times a week for 7 years. In May, I attended a TI workshop in Coronado California and have been slowly getting "it" together. I have been in a masters program, as well as a member of the La Jolla Swim Club. I love open water swimming. My longest ow swim has been 5 miles. I`ve done Alcatraz and every one mile Ocean swim event in California that I can find. Swimming around every pier on the coast is a goal. Over the past year I have been experiencing pain in my left shoulder. Two weeks ago I had rotator cuff surgery. The doc. placed an insert into the humerous and re-attached everything. It was not a complete tear,.but pretty bad. I`ll be wearing a sling for 3 months. Tomorrow I begin therapy.

I`ve been back in the pool,.with a sling and strap that keeps my left arm against my core, and I have been mainly kicking from one and to the other,..wearing a snorkel. Now,..my knees are sore.

What should I be doing in the pool at this time??? I was just getting the knack of the 2 beat kick and core rotation,..things were beginning to click. August 2 I did a 5 mile ow swim and came in last,..but was fresh,..had lots of energy left...but was slow due to limited shoulder movement.

Thanks for listening..

RonLockman....%%%%%%% ><>
Did your arm improve eventually back at the level before your op. I am yr age now 66yrs and an ocean swimmer. I'm one week post op on rotacuff, large tear. I'm in a sling for 6 weeks, and its summer here (nz - and concerned already if I will ever swim long distance ocean events again. can you give me a few tips on how and what to do and what not to do too soon. I know it won't be for another couple of months, but just curious how to manage.
Looking forward to some tips, Kiwi Anne
Old 11-22-2016
smithmga

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithmga View Post
Did your arm improve eventually back at the level before your op. I am yr age now 66yrs and an ocean swimmer. I'm one week post op on rotacuff, large tear. I'm in a sling for 6 weeks, and its summer here (nz - and concerned already if I will ever swim long distance ocean events again. can you give me a few tips on how and what to do and what not to do too soon. I know it won't be for another couple of months, but just curious how to manage.
Looking forward to some tips, Kiwi Anne
any tips anyone on getting back into swimming and Tri's after rotacuff tear. How Much, how soon?
ta
kiwi anne
Old 03-13-2017
andrejones

I didn't have a surgery, but needed physiotherapy sessions to strengthen my rotator cuff. It's annoying because I have weak joints and I feel pain everytime I swim or lift weight.

Andre Jones
Old 03-13-2017
andrejones

I forgot to say that there are lots of exercises for the rotator cuff available on Youtube. You should check out there!

Andre Jones
Old 08-29-2017
rubenscardoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrejones View Post
I forgot to say that there are lots of exercises for the rotator cuff available on Youtube. You should check out there!

Andre Jones
Hey Andre,

After one year you're here helping me! Thanks for sharing this stuff.

I found these exercises:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1hIHwLsiq8

http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/r...tion-exercises

Do you recommend another one else? What do you think? I hope you still use this forum to help me. Or, if you reading this message, can help me, I'll be glad! <3

Thanks!