Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Butterfly
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2012

Suddethb
Default 103 miles in Butterfly this year!

With a 2-mile swim in Butterfly on December 22, I have now reached my swimming distance goal for this year, 103 miles in Butterfly at 25 yards per lap (except for my 1-mile open water swim in the Chesapeake). I chose that goal because I was so inspired by the courage, dedication and overwhelming stamina shown by Diana Nyad in her two attempts this year to swim from Cuba to Florida, a distance of... 103 miles. Most swimmers would give up after one hit of any jellyfish, much less two separate exposures to box jellyfish which are exponentially worse. Diana is one of my heroes in this world as is Terry. May I have the strength of spirit to face challenges with as much honor as she has. May my challenges be not quite as painful as well! Thank you Diana. You inspired additional zest in my life. Not bad for a 51 year-old newbie swimmer.
Old 01-02-2012

Grant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddethb View Post
With a 2-mile swim in Butterfly on December 22, I have now reached my swimming distance goal for this year, 103 miles in Butterfly at 25 yards per lap (except for my 1-mile open water swim in the Chesapeake). I chose that goal because I was so inspired by the courage, dedication and overwhelming stamina shown by Diana Nyad in her two attempts this year to swim from Cuba to Florida, a distance of... 103 miles. Most swimmers would give up after one hit of any jellyfish, much less two separate exposures to box jellyfish which are exponentially worse. Diana is one of my heroes in this world as is Terry. May I have the strength of spirit to face challenges with as much honor as she has. May my challenges be not quite as painful as well! Thank you Diana. You inspired additional zest in my life. Not bad for a 51 year-old newbie swimmer.
That is a wonderful achievement on your part Suddethe. To be able to hold your 7 to 8 stokes per length for that long is amazing t. As well as the 103 mile total. You are a horse.

Last edited by Grant : 01-02-2012 at 01:24 AM.
Old 01-02-2012
Head Coach

terry has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddethb View Post
With a 2-mile swim in Butterfly on December 22, I have now reached my swimming distance goal for this year, 103 miles in Butterfly.
Brian
That's an inspiring accomplishment, and a worthy suggestion for others, who may be looking for some galvanizing goals for 2012. I'd been musing that I would build up to some steadily-longer timed butterfly swims this year, but the cumulative distance for the year is an intriguing goal as well. It will be a bit harder for me to track because I've recently resumed regular practice in the Endless Pool. I could perhaps come up with a distance-equivalent. Since I average 8SPL in a 25yd pool, I could try to keep track of strokes taken.

On the other hand I'm more interested in measuring by time than distance. I swam a lifetime best of 3:06 for 200-yd Fly last April at a Masters meet at George Mason Univ. I've set a goal of breaking 3:00 this year.

My other goals are to do longer timed swims, working up steadily from a timed 500y to a timed 1000y and timed 1650y - all standard distances in Masters swimming. I'd do these in practice, not in meets, and just for personal satisfaction.

And responding to your post has given me an idea for my first blog of 2012 - My Swimming Resolutions.

Which prompts me to ask: Have you set betterfly goals for 2012 - or will you focus on another stroke? One thing to consider is what kind of goal will grow the most neurons? E.G. Having swum 103 miles in 2011, going for say a 10 percent increase, to 113 miles, will likely stimulate muscles more than brain. But a focus on improving your time for shorter distances is a very different task, which will provide some cognitive difficulty (a favorite phrase I borrowed from David Brooks.)

May your laps be as happy as mine.

My TI Story
Old 01-02-2012
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by manalartigaud View Post
Thanks to TI dvd of butterfly I started swimming it two weeks ago and I succeded to swim 50 meters without pause the question is;
palms must be out or down before diving ?
Palms facing out suggests a lot of internal rotation of the arm which can cause shoulder problems over time. I try to enter with flat hands as i extend forward into the water.
Fresh Freestyle

Old 01-02-2012
Head Coach

terry has disabled reputation

Like Suzanne I strive to land hands flat - like a plane carefully touching down on the deck of a pitching aircraft carrier - but I want fingertips angled slightly outward.

May your laps be as happy as mine.

My TI Story
Old 03-24-2012

Suddethb

Terry,

Always glad for the encouragement. This year I picked up your Success in Open Water DVD and am primarily working on adjusting my pool swim "Easy Freestyle" to open tracks and two-beat kick. I just joined US Masters and have my first competitive meet tomorrow. I'm in the 100 and 200 fly and 500 free (no 1,650 free or fly in this meet.)

In May I'm registered for a 1-mile lake swim followed by a 5K lake swim in Reston, VA two weeks later, then finally the 4.4 mile Great Chesapeake Bay Swim on June 10th. For now, as a new member of Masters and with only two open water swims to date, I'm just looking to be able to participate, not be disqualified, and have fun (comparatively). I expect that these events will build a solid foundation for many more open water events in the future. I'm delighted in how far I've come in just a few years thanks to your methods.

Brian Suddeth
Bowie, MD

Last edited by Suddethb : 03-24-2012 at 09:33 PM.
Old 06-20-2016

Suddethb

Grant, I practice regularly (2-3 times a week) in a 25 yard pool.