Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2009

Nicodemus
Default Pressure on the back of my lead hand

I have got a question about the correct position of my lead hand, after spearing and before the catch.

I noticed today that I was not letting my hand hang down, as we were taught on the TI workshop. I am not holding it stiff either though. It is semi-relaxed pointing downwards slightly more than my forearm.

So I made it a focus for a length to let my wrist go completely floppy. My hand hung lower - but then I could clearly feel water pressure (ie resistance) on the back of my hand.

Then just for an experiment, I tried raising my hand - and I felt the pressure on my palm. I understand that this is a common problem that the TI hanging hand is designed to avoid. But I seem to have found a slightly more streamlined position than the specified floppy-wrist one. Is my position ok, or is there some other reason to let my hand hang that I have overlooked? If so, is it normal to feel that pressure on the back of my hand?

I should mention that I always swim a slowish stroke-rate (about 1.5 - 2 secs), because I am new to TI and working on my technique. This means I tend to pause and glide after each spearing action. Maybe if my stroke-rate increased I would not have time to notice this resistance on my hand? Or maybe it is too insignificant to care about?

Can anyone enlighten me?
Thanks, Nick.
Old 08-10-2009

Rhoda

I only feel pressure on the back of my hand when I'm starting the catch. It's quickly followed by pressing the whole forearm down. Otherwise, it's pretty much straight on my wrist, but not rigid.
Old 08-10-2009

atreides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
I have got a question about the correct position of my lead hand, after spearing and before the catch.

I noticed today that I was not letting my hand hang down, as we were taught on the TI workshop. I am not holding it stiff either though. It is semi-relaxed pointing downwards slightly more than my forearm.

So I made it a focus for a length to let my wrist go completely floppy. My hand hung lower - but then I could clearly feel water pressure (ie resistance) on the back of my hand.

Then just for an experiment, I tried raising my hand - and I felt the pressure on my palm. I understand that this is a common problem that the TI hanging hand is designed to avoid. But I seem to have found a slightly more streamlined position than the specified floppy-wrist one. Is my position ok, or is there some other reason to let my hand hang that I have overlooked? If so, is it normal to feel that pressure on the back of my hand?

I should mention that I always swim a slowish stroke-rate (about 1.5 - 2 secs), because I am new to TI and working on my technique. This means I tend to pause and glide after each spearing action. Maybe if my stroke-rate increased I would not have time to notice this resistance on my hand? Or maybe it is too insignificant to care about?

Can anyone enlighten me?
Thanks, Nick.
I have often wondered about this myself. When I swim slow in order to maximize glide, my hand/arm hand at an incline and I wonder if this somehow minimizing streamline. I have recently began to time my hip drive and pull better so that the water pressure I fell on my hand/arm has been greatly minimized. I suppose that it is still there but before I was doing most of the pull with my arm. As I think I posted before in one of your posts, I have also increased my turnover because I believe that it supplies air in manner that more closely matches the way I breathe when I run. I guess my conclusion is that once you feel that you have the appropriate spearing action, hip drive and pulling action are far more important. I think that if you are feeling water pressure on the back then you should seek to avoid that. But once you increase your turnover rate, you won't have time to let your hand go completely floppy anyway.
Old 08-10-2009

Ghul

I think arm down and floppy hand probably does increase resistance. I think the argument though is that with a stiff hand and arm parallel it is in fact easy to end up pointing arm up, which is at least as bad for resistance and also makes it hard to get a good catch. I've been trying to relax my hands and it seems to be helping my stroke. Probably it is a matter of experimenting and finding what works best for you - choosing the right Y-coordinate. I seem to remember that Brian Vande Krol has something on this on his webpage.