Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Links and References
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2009
Head Coach

terry has disabled reputation
Default Poll: Should we add a new Conference?

BradMM suggested we add a conference on the mental aspect of swimming. I think it's a great idea. I find Mindfulness among the most interesting aspects of swimming, and the one I've learned most about in my 50s.

Should we expand the purview of this new conference? Lately we've had many good discussions about aspects like The Talent Code, Mastery and Flow.

So two questions:
1) Add a new conference about the psychology of swimming well?
2) Suggest a good umbrella theme or title for such a conference?

May your laps be as happy as mine.

My TI Story
Old 08-09-2009

lvigrd
Default New Conference

I am definitely in favor of such a conference, as I am still searching for that "cocoon of calm" that you've described. Would there be any way to hold this conference online (or something like that) if it is based on visualization or mental training vs. actual physical pool training? As a single parent, it's hard enough to find time to get to the pool, let alone try to fit in a conference, and I would love the information.

Laura
Old 08-09-2009

shuumai
Send a message via Skype™ to shuumai

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvigrd View Post
I am definitely in favor of such a conference, as I am still searching for that "cocoon of calm" that you've described. Would there be any way to hold this conference online (or something like that) if it is based on visualization or mental training vs. actual physical pool training? As a single parent, it's hard enough to find time to get to the pool, let alone try to fit in a conference, and I would love the information.

Laura
I think "conference" in this case means a...category, like Breaststroke, Butterfly, Racing, etc.

It seems like a good idea. Speaking of mindfulness and such, I've been wanting to see a movie called "Peaceful Warrior." The star is a gymnast instead of a swimmer, but the movie involves psychological/spiritual/mental aspects of performance. Here is a scene from movie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lWuUzpLLUs
Old 08-10-2009

shuumai

On second thought, TI is all about mindfulness in action, so it makes sense that the topic is intertwined in all the existing categories as it is now.

BTW, I just watched "Peaceful Warrior" and I really liked it. It's meaningful but "Hollywood" at the same time. Highly recommended.
Old 08-11-2009

stevereagan

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry View Post
BradMM suggested we add a conference on the mental aspect of swimming. I think it's a great idea. I find Mindfulness among the most interesting aspects of swimming, and the one I've learned most about in my 50s.

Should we expand the purview of this new conference? Lately we've had many good discussions about aspects like The Talent Code, Mastery and Flow.

So two questions:
What about something like "Mindful Swimming" or "Swimming with Mindfulness" - "mindfulness" seems to be the recurrent theme (and tool to make it happen)

-- Steve
Old 08-11-2009

Mike from NS

So two questions:

Like most physical skills we want to develop, we usually find we need to convince ourselves that "we can do this..." When we gain mental confidence, then we might relax more easily. I'm sure it has been stated somewhere that possibly up to 80 or 90% of swimming ability is all in finding a confidence from within ourselves. Like many others, I have gone through points on a learning curve where I feel I will never gain a swimming skill. And on reflection of a day's events, I can't wait to get back and try to correct my perceived errors.

I think a conference on the psychology of swimming and of swimming well could be interesting and very valuable. Methods of focus and mindful practice could be offered and the results shown.

A theme or title ... Results of Mindful Methods

Mike

Last edited by Mike from NS : 08-11-2009 at 01:18 AM.
Old 08-11-2009

AWP

To extend on Mike's initial sentence, my first thoughts were almost that of a book title, a take on the playfulness of beginning (The Little Engine that Could). Yes You Can: The Way to Mindful Swimming or simply The Way to Mindful Swimming or perhaps The Zen of It would be more concise for a conference title.
And yes I feel it would be interesting, although maybe not a heavily trafficked area at first it just may lead to 'that' book!

Alan
Old 08-11-2009

shuumai

Ideas:

Swimmer's Mind

This is Your Brain in Water
Old 08-11-2009

kueli
Default Mystery

Brilliant idea! I suggest that we keep the title a little mysterious. Something like "Water Thoughts" or the more accurate but somewhat less euphonic "Swimming Thoughts".
Old 08-11-2009
Head Coach

terry has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevereagan View Post
What about something like "Mindful Swimming" or "Swimming with Mindfulness" - "mindfulness" seems to be the recurrent theme (and tool to make it happen)
As Shuumai said, in this case, Conference means to add a new category , like Links and References, to the Forum.

I can see the appeal in a less obvious title, one that has a note of playfulness or mystery. On the other hand, I'd want to draw the largest number to the discussions as I find it the most interesting of topics, and I think a completely overt title such as "The Power of Mindfulness in Swimming" would likely have that effect.

All in favor, say "Aye."

PS: The response to posting video from my March presentation on Perpetual Motion Freestyle at MIT to my blog - three times more reads or views than any other blog I've posted - suggest we should do webinars on a variety of topics. The Power of Mindfulness is clearly a great topic candidate.

May your laps be as happy as mine.

My TI Story

Last edited by terry : 08-11-2009 at 09:48 AM.