Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Links and References
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2012
Head Coach

terry has disabled reputation
Default What Are Your 2013 Swim Resolutions

My final blog for 2012 is A 'Recipe' for Successful 2013 Resolutions.
If you've been thinking about swimming resolutions for the coming year, I invite you to read the recipe, then share and discuss your resolutions on this thread.

Or suggest your own favorite recipe ingredients for successful resolutions.

May your laps be as happy as mine.

My TI Story

Last edited by terry : 12-28-2012 at 07:27 PM.
Old 12-28-2012

Mike from NS

New Years greetings to all!

I feel #9 of the top 10 resolutions for 2012 is one of the key driving forces of the other top 10 resolutions. If taken as "fall in love" with ourselves. Then that powers the other resolutions on the list. We want self improvement because we recognize there is something better we want for ourselves. The 14%% success rate of the 50+ year olds shows we set goals that are more than reasonable. Maybe because of getting older we see time running out and realize we have to get "there" sooner rather than later. But reaching too far beyond the attainable will only bring disappointment and maybe failure ---- certainly frustration at least. It has taken me 6 years from never swimming a single stroke to becoming comfortable in the water now. All my success is due to following the Total Immersion principles and methods --- I know no other way. My goal for 2012 was simple. It was to become capable of swimming 25 M without the fins (upon which I had become so dependent). This goal has been achieved. And when I wear the fins now, I'm surprised to see the increase in the work level sometimes. So my resolution or goal for the next 12 months is to continue the learning and to become much more comfortable in the breathing department, to become better balanced and streamlined and to use the lap clock to help establish bench marks and to show me if I am reaching these goals. Tackling the diving board is among the goals too. The root goal in all of this is to swim continuous (non stop) 100 or even 200M at a stretch. Presently I'm quite happy to see the wall at the end of 25! I feel it is all in getting the breathing working better.

Mike
Old 12-28-2012

jenson1a

Hey Mike

I can echo some of your thoughts, but I think my most important goal s/b to accept myself for who I am. Who am I?--a 69 year old struggling swimmer that has longed to be more like a lot of the posters that have posted their videos. I need to become more productive in my thinking and planning and also recognize that 1 fantastic practice does not mean I am over the hump.

The recent blog post by Terry call "Start Where You Are" offerred several good insights on planning a session. Too often I get frustrated when I can't achieve an SPL that was so easy just a few weeks ago. for those of you who haven't read this particular blog, i think it is really worthwhile.

I do enjoy swimming and I guess I should be thankful that I live in a climate that makes it easy all year round (well maybe not hurricane season!)

So my goal for 2013 is to learn to accept my limitations, plan training sessions better and adapt when they fall apart, and to continue reading this great forum

Happy New Year Guys

Sherry
Old 12-28-2012

Mike from NS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenson1a View Post

So my goal for 2013 is to learn to accept my limitations, plan training sessions better and adapt when they fall apart, and to continue reading this great forum

Happy New Year Guys

Sherry
Hi there Sherry;

Not sure about accepting limitations. Know your limitations for sure, then plan how to exceed or overcome them. And I saw your video -- looks good to me ....

My video is no where to be found ! Must save whatever pride I have left !!
Just call me chicken !

Mike
Old 12-28-2012

jenson1a

[QUOTE
Maybe because of getting older we see time running out and realize we have to get "there" sooner rather than later. But reaching too far beyond the attainable will only bring disappointment and maybe failure ---- certainly frustration at least.

Mike[/quote]

Hey Mike Tks for the nice words, but when I said limitations, I meant physical. I like to think I am as flexible as I was when I was 30, but it ain't jusst so! You said it yourself--we do have to be realistic and have to set attainable goals. we just set ourselves up for failure. I do notice an "urgency" to attain goals just because of my age. I would like to swim a lot better before I cash it in.

One goal that I did not mention is that I have realized the need to get some 1 on 1 coaching this year. I have saved up for a few lessons and hope to arrange something this year with Coach Gary Fahey. He is the closest coach to where I live--about 2 hours away but I think it would be worth it. I've been spinng my wheels for a long time, so this is probably my highest priority.

Good luck on your goals Mike and have a great year.

Sherry
Old 12-29-2012

Wetpico
Default Goal for 2013

Learn TI swimming through video; private instruction. Attend a clinic on TI; practice, practice and more practice. Hopefully, become a TI coach in my very remote location - it's very do able goal. Then teach other breast cancer survivors how to glide through the water and keep their disease at bay while feeling good about them selves once again. Happy new year everyone. AM
Old 12-29-2012

azamy

My resolutions are #s:

1. Lose Weight
4. Enjoy life (and Swimming) more fully
5. Stay Fit and Healthy
7. Quit Smoking
10. Spend More Time with Family

In addition I would like to help more friends learn swimming and spread the word about TI :)
Old 12-29-2012

bkjagadish
Default My Resolutions for 2013

My Resolutions for 2013
1.Lose Weight
2.Get Organized
3.Spend Less . . . Save More
4.Enjoy Life More Fully
5.Stay Fit and Healthy (not always the same thing)
6.Learn Something Exciting
10.Spend More Time with Family

Allot more time for READING & MEDITATION and make them REGULAR ( No skipping on any flimsy reason whatsoever !!! )
Old 12-29-2012
Head Coach

terry has disabled reputation
Default Anne Etra's Recipe

Anne was unable to post here and put her suggestions in the comments section of the blog, so I'm reposting for her.

1. Embrace the positive.
We have a choice, each moment, to be positive and look brightly, as opposed to thinking dark and negative.

2. Be playful.
One of the joys of aging is recognizing our mortality, and the importance of health, family, friends, work, community, and contribution. But not every moment is so serious. Let little things go; have fun!

3. Be grateful.
See #2 for things to be grateful for. Especially waking up each day, breathing, and feeling good.

4. Honor your aging body.
Know that at age 53 you are not 23. This is a good thing. Rest and recovery become more important to your fitness regiment, and should be seen as an integral, wonderful part of it. On energetic days do your 'outer' exercise and swim, bike, run, strength train, play tennis whatever, and on your 'inner' days take it down...go for an easy amble, do some tai chi, gentle yoga, relax, recharge.

5. My swimming resolution?
* Work on the evenness of my elbows coming out of the water. One side feels much more natural and in better form than the other.
* Pay more attention to my kick. I don't always 'feel' it as well as I think I should, but maybe that's a good thing.
* Be more economical with my breathing. My 86-year-old dad (who by the way swam in the 1940s for Columbia and the New York Athletic Club and still looks like an elegant fish when he swims) tells me my breathing movement needs work. Come to think of it his existence is another reason to be grateful.
* Learn to do a flip turn. It's gotta be more efficient for pool swimming. Plus it looks cool.

Happy New Year!
Anne Etra

May your laps be as happy as mine.

My TI Story
Old 12-29-2012
Coach

CoachJohnB

I have a few resolutoins for both my personal life and business life. I have a funny feeling that as my personal life resolutions take root, the professional ones will follow.

1) Be more appreciative of people around me, not just family and friends but everyone. I sometimes that we(as a society) don't take the time to learn about someone because of their appearance, political beliefs, career fields, ect. This year, I will take the time to learn about new people that come into my life and enjoy their presence.

2) Read more for enjoyment. This will open the door for many opporunities for learning. I have never been a big reader becasue I have always been very slow at doing so. Regardless of how long I take to finish a book, I plan on enjoying the process.

3) Play outside more. My day to day job has me instead a lot. During my freetime from family,work, and swimming, I will enjoy the fields, streams, and woods near my home. Fresh air seems to help awaken the body.

4) Fix my freetsyle recovery so my entry is cleaner and I can swim faster.